Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

side panel boxes

Discussion in 'Audio' started by joe84bb, May 22, 2000.

1. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

is it possible to build boxes that would install in place of the factory rear side panels? I'm looking to put in 4 10"ers one in front of wheel well & one behind. I'm not worried about not being able to get to the last hardtop bolt (the one that bolts in from bottom at back) 'cause I never put it back in anyway. If so, could anyone give me some specs on box dimensions?

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.

2. KapeKodK5

KapeKodK5 Registered Member

I just build a box for my single ten jl audio 10w6dvc. the box ended up going from the inside wall of the blazer to fluch with the wheelwell. and a 1/4 of a way up the wheelwell. So times that by 4. you really only need 1 or two subs.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Posted this a while ago, look it over. Made out of 5/8" particle board, covered in matching carpet to the rest of the interior, 10" MTX Thunder speakers, no rattle, rock and pretty good thump. Let me know if you need more detail, will be happy to help.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I was planning on putting 2 10w6's in the back mounted on top of the wheel wells (1 on each side) pointing towards the center of the roof between the front and back seats. There should be enough room for the enclosures if I build the walls out to the edge of the wells. Since the JL's only take .65 cubic feet, that would leave plenty of room for storage boxes behind the wheel wells. Your right about only needing one or two subs too. I had a box with 3 10w0's back there and it sounded increadible but it took up way too much room.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

5. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

That's exactly what I'm after. How did you attach the panels at the bottom, and what did you use to seal the perimeters?

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Attached the bottom sections using both the factory "L" brackets and added a few of my own. Lots of screws used to hook up with the sheetmetal. The air gap issue was partially solved with the carpet and the tightness of the screws. What I mean is the carpet acted as a "gasket" or seal when it was screwed down (the carpet wrapped around the wood). Only two areas have no seal - by the rear latch (you can see that in the picture I posted, only a small hole), and up by the drivers seats. That was dealt with in a couple of ways. First, instead of going all the way up to the edge of the door (like the factory side panels do), I stopped my side panels about 3 inches shorter. Did this for two reasons - clearance for the seat belts (would have been tight against the seat had I put the particle board all the way up to the seat belt anchors) and there was a pronounced curvature the closer to the door I got. This way there is less "air gap". Then I used a high density closed cell foam between the particle board and the sheet metal. Picture attached for you to see what I am trying to say. Good luck.......let me know if you have any more ???

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

7. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

BlazerinOr I don't understand how you made a box that would fit between the wall and the panel...I would really like your setup....

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

8. Rayven90

Rayven90 Registered Member

blazinor, i would really like to see the rest of the panel if possible i would like to do the same my self.

Rayven

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Actually, there is NO box between the wall and side panel. The side panel is the actual enclosure that the speakers mount to, and do a good job as an "air chamber". They thump pretty good and I am happy with them. Here is another picture, not sure which ones you saw already. Let me know if you have any more questions.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

10. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I hope there free air...thats not good for the subs.

<font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=blue>Burnett</font color=blue>
    cameronburnett@hotmail.com

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I assume you mean not good if it is not vented at all. There are some air "ports" that allow movement with the action of the sub.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com