Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Side Panel Photos with 10" MTX Speakers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Mar 7, 2000.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Side Panel Photos with 10\" MTX Speakers

A couple of guys asked me to post this for all to see.....eliminates the bulk of a speaker box in the back end of your rig, these 10" MTX Thunders sure pound enough for me.........not to say when I was 25 the 15" Cerwin Vega woofer wasn't the deafness-inducing speaker of choice, but in my late 30's these 10's are fine.......they are mounted in 5/8" particle board which is screwed to the sheet metal and frame.......think about 30 screws per side. Nice, solid mount, no vibrating, even with RUSH 2112 rocking!

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Side Panel Photos with 10\" MTX Speakers

is the speaker sealed? there's a space behind that panel, but did your buddy seal it off? or does that speaker have the entire fender of airspace?

by the way, nice install. is that entire panel particle board? with new covering?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Uses the entire airspace behind the particle board for the "thump chamber". It is one full piece of particle board, with carpet from cheyenne pickup parts to match the rest of the interior carpet (did the whole project at once). There are no partitions, didn't need them, and though it isn't hermetically sealed to the body (there are small gaps) they aren't significant enough for me. It rocks, thumps and saved a hell of a lot of room (used to have Pyle 12's in a rather large box).

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue> that side panel looks good. how did you measure it? i want to do that to my K5 so i could have a hidden place for small things and so I couild install some speakers.</font color=blue>

5. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.

Just a quick question, do you ever take off your top? If so, did you remove the rear anchors?

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm looking into a new carpet set from CPP too. How good was the carpet? Was it a perfect fit? Is that the only grey they have? How easy was installation? Any comments on it?

Sorry for the lots of questions.

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Frank, that looks really good! I have some factory panels that i dug up for free out of a junked 83 K5....figure i can duplicate your results using those as a template. Also i figure with the gallon of Herculiner i installed in the rear it ought to help with sound deadening and make some speakers work rather well. Question though..those 10's aren't aimed directly at each other are they? And 2112 is an excellant choice of tunes!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

picture of my system

That is a nice clean install. Unfortunately I still rock out and want the seriously loud sound. Here is picture of my system. The box comes out with two screws and 4 wires but it still gives me 149db in competition and no the box is nearly impossible to duplicate.

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Top comes off all summer as this is not my daily driver......and stays off! LOL Removed one anchor (that sheet metal U shaped holder, but if anything, this set up stiffens up the rear area with the thickness of wood I used and all the screws.

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: picture of my system

blueknight, that's sick.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

11. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Looks good. I might have to give that a try. Do you have an amp running those subs? Where did you mount that at? Right now I have 2 12" MTX in a box, but it takes up too much room in the back. Did you have to cut any of the sheet metal to allow the magnet to fit through? Or is it as simple as cutting a piece of particle board to fit?

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Have a Fosgate 150 watt amp running just the subs.......it is mounted behind that panel you see in the picture to the sheetmetal. I know those amps are supposed to have more ventilation and all, but I also know they are damn near bulletproof (this one is 10 years old and never a problem), so hiding it was worth the chance. No, didn't have to cut any sheetmetal, though you may have to "shim" out the speakers with a ring depending on the backspacing of the magnets>>>>>>those MTX woofs were about the best combination of quality and minimal backspacing that I could get. I just used the original wimpy side panels as a template and cut the particle board. Took my time, had to use a router to undercut back by the tailgate latches, but the time spent was well worth it.......for sure.

13. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

With 140db you will start to feel pain in your ears! With 149db I don't even want to imagine. Is it at least a huge juicy price in those competitions? Let me guess... a new pair of inner ears... LOL [​IMG]

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I sat in a buddy's car when it was hitting 165dB. Lemme tell you, it mushes up your insides and you have runs for a week. At least on me it did. Won't ever do that again. Now it's hitting 175+ dB and that is just Psycho. Can't even sit in this thing while it's cranked. NOT my thing at all, but cool to see how that stuff works. He's currently got the world record, all out of a little car with 9-15's and 18 amps. A few other friends have systems running from 128-155 dB. Mine is just one 12" sub and a small amp producing 132dB on the dash. Wild world, this car building stuff. To each his own!!

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

And hey Blazzin, that looks really trick. I may use that idea myself. I think I'd put mine under the carpet though, a little muffled sound but with bass it doesn't really matter. And the subs would be masked from view. Looks good.

And BlueKnight, you trying to be like Alma Gates? LOL Hey dude, it's cool, I've seen that stuff before. Does that wall fold down, or is it the full height of your truck always? Cause it looks like it folds or something in the pic...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

16. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

What year is that truck? To me it looks like a mid 80's. Did the original panels have speakers in the rear corners by the tailgate? What did you do with them?

17. BlueKnight

sick.. well it does make you queasy, but hey I used to run a cazr stereo store. To get repsect you have to walk the walk. In this vehicle I can even walk over them :)

18. BlueKnight

Actually at those volume levels you wear aviation headphones.

19. BlueKnight

actually the speaker box lifts up hydraulically and the amp rack cover slide out. It sits about 2" above my back seat.