Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Side panels

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by lectric80, Apr 18, 2007.

1. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

Ok so my side panels in the K5 are pretty well shot. I am wondering what others are doing for the side panels. :confused:

My thought is to use some masonite, then cover it with carpet. I have been thinking of using two different colors of carpet, probably blue with a gray insert, to try and make it a little different from the single tone vinyl that is there. Ideas are welcome, but I don't want to do steel for the echo it would cause.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Aluminum or Steel with a layer of polymeric mastic on the back side (like Dynamat only 1/6th the price!).

Won't rattle, and won't sag or rot when they inevitably get wet.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, couple of things...

Masonite will be a poor choice, it sucks up moisture like a sponge... There are better choices in wood based products...

A steel or aluminum panel can be done without any "echo" issues, but it must be taken into consideration... Thick aluminum is an alright choice, if properly deadened...

For a different train of thought.... personally, I'm doing mine from composite fiberglass.. Not overly cheap but impervious to weather and awesome sound characteristics.

Similar to my dash, electronics box, console, etc... Pic whoring commence... :haha:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be doing lower door panels and kick panels too...

4. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

Even with the polymeric mastic it is still going to cause a bit of an echo inside the truck, and with kids that just isn't an option. That is why I was thinking carpeted, and I am not too concerned with the water issue, as they will be cheap enough to just rebuild if needed.

5. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

I like the dash, do you think you could create one for me, it would need to be able to have the AC vents, but that is awesome. I am not very skilled with fiberglass, but it may be a good thing to consider.

6. ryoken

I get myself in such trouble... :haha:

The dash is hopefully going into production in the not-too-distant future... Theres a whole thread on it.. For me to do individual dashs is definitely not cost effective, they'd be way too expensive, thus, http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198894&highlight=viable+product

I probably wont do the rear panels till I quarter the truck and do the floor.. But I think it's the perfect solution... LOTS of options, speakers, hatches, etc.. Gonna do a set for me and Wraenking (Tom).. They should run about $125 or so a pair to do...

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I did mine in Alumabrite diamond plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. LEEREED123

LEEREED123 1/2 ton status

also, Brother's truck parts has them in their new 73-87 catalog. not cheap though.
    you can get their new catalog here:
    http://www.brotherstrucks.com/

9. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

Thanks ryoken, if they go into production I will definately be for getting me one. Don't want to but the new ones, but fiberglass would be the best way to go, I could still do the carpet for a clean appearance, maybe I will talk to some of my friends to see about helping me build a set that way. Is that your electronics box in the second pic?

10. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey 73k5, I like that look. I've been looking at the same thing for aawhile now. I can't seem to choose between the .100 or the .125 panels. What did you use? Looks like yu have fiberglass insulation behind them too? Might it be wise to back the aluminum in thin carpet or the like to keep the rattling down? What are the round holes in the top for? Thanks.

11. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

I had actually though of doing it this way, but I am worried about the echo as well as the rattle. I currently have more than enough rattles to go around, but I think that so far I like Ryoken's idea of doing them in fiberglass.

12. ryoken

I should probably make this statement... Really I was just using what I'm doing as an exercise in thinking outside the norm... Just another train of thought...

I'm not sure how effective standard handlaying fiberglass would be.. matter of fact, it would suck and take some work..

The stuff I showed is a specifac composite fiberglass material... It comes in different thicknesses, in 4' x 8' sheets.. like plywood, just cut the pieces out... vastly easier, but pretty pricey...... It isn't the kind of material you can just go anywhere for.... You have to find distributors, etc...

Another option to consider if you want to use carpet is just using a wood-based product and coating it... Maybe some quality luan coated with polyester resin..

And hey thanks for the compliment! yeah, that box contains all my electrical out in the engine compartment...

[​IMG]

13. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

I guess I need to look at more of what you have done with your truck. Some of what I have seen is really interesting. With number of distributors here in SLC there should be some that carry it, what is it called?
    I am leaning towards something in a wood with a good resin coat to help prevent minor water damage. I was actually thinking along the lines of some good 1/4" ply coated then adding the carpet over the top. But the fiberglass you are talking about would work just as well, and I am not against spending a little extra to have a nicer look when finished. Plus it would be much more durable than any wood based product. And, it would provide some great opportunities for mounting some new speakers into. As well as doing a recessed mount for the amps I have to put in. I am not trying to steal your ideas but the reason for this post was to get some ideas that I hadn't even thought of, or known about. What is luan?

And that electrical box is really cool, although it wouldn't work in mine without removing the factory AC to relocate the battery as you have done.

14. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It was .125 thickness.
    My truck is a fiberglass body. The way the glass body came, those quarter sections were already boxed in, meaning the alumabrite is flat up against a fiberglass backer. They are packed with goodies, inverter, amplifiers, ac outlet, subwoofer, full range speakers..etc. See here.
    I backed the back of it with little padded feet, simliar to the things you would buy to put on the bottom of furniture legs to protect a floor.
    The holes are for top bolt access. I have covers for them.

15. ryoken

Luan is really just a variation of ply, 2 veneers with a solid wood core.. there are better choices... a quality marine grade interior ply would be best imo...

the composite glass i use is made by Creative Pultrusions... you can check their dealer list..

http://www.creativepultrusions.com/

here's the product page http://www.creativepultrusions.com/stand.html

here's a list of distributors

http://www.creativepultrusions.com/distlistus.html

And yeah, my truck is designed for my wants and needs.. AC definitely wasn't in the plan... But if it gives someone a good idea for something they want, awesome.. :D

Alot of my mods aren't something I'd suggest for the weak of heart, pretty involved.. But hopefully it opens up some new thinking for some.. :wink1:

16. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Stay away from masonite! I made some out of 1/8" masonite and they lasted a few years but were stained and warped from the water damage. I didn't have a problem with the material in and of itself though, just the old leaky seals of the top. The problem I had was speaker placement and the water running into them. I didn't cover the panels with carpet either. Just never got a round tuit. I used the masonite for several reasons: inexpensive, easy to work with, and the thickness was an issue. The thicker materials prevented the proper mounting of the seatbelt retractor in my '91 which was the same as the '88 I had (don't know if yours are different). The masonite might have worked had it been coated in something like the herculiner. Good luck.

17. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

I am leaning towards the composite glass that ryoken suggested. It would last much longer, and would allow me some flexibility in mounting my amps, and a few other toys I am thinking about behind them. If I had to open them up for any reason the glass would be much easier to deal with. I may have to work around the upper shoulder belt mount, but that shouldn't be a real issue. I may also use something like marine plywood and then coat it with resin. Nothing is set in stone yet, as I need to replace the starter today, and the shop I use has a gear reduction that weighs less than half the current starter, but they aren't cheap.