Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Side Rear storage Boxes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Metrodps, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK I searched and found about stereo ones but I am thinking of getting two of these Delta side boxes and putting in the rear of K5. What I am wondering is if anyone has done this. They are the plastic type and cost about $125 each. Would you go with steel for like $250 each?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Reversible hinged lid opens from left or right allowing easy access to contents. Tough blow-molded black polyethylene is unaffected by chemicals, fuels, lubricants, etc. Partition (included) can be used to form a small compartment above wheel well to hold smaller items. Includes mounting screws and key. For mini- and mid-size pickups storage box is approx. 9"W x 16"H x 38"L. For full-size pickups storage box is approx. 9"W x 20"H x 38"L.

I am also kicking around the ideal of having someone weld me up a set. What kind of hing would be best if I did that? I am thinking cheaper to buy made ones. My health won't allow me to weld and I no longer have a welder either.

I also found these for ice chest with a speaker. Wonder if they would work in the front of wheel well.
    [​IMG]
    • <LI type=circle>Designed to drain with a beveled bottom and a built-in drain valve <LI type=circle>Fits any pickup truck—full, mini/compact or mid-size! <LI type=circle>Two divided storage areas—large ice chest or dry utility storage and small dry storage for when ice chest is in use
    • Also available with built-in high-powered marine grade 180-watt speaker
    Utilize wasted space between the wheel well and the tailgate. Use for utility storage when ice chest is not in use. Made of heavy-duty rotational molded black textured plastic—will not crack peel or rust. Features reversible lid for use on left or right side, divided and sealed lid with lock and key assembly. Mounts between the wheel well and the tailgate.

Dimensions
    Large Ice Chest Beverage Cooler/Dry Storage Area: 10"-14"L x 15"H x 6"W
    Separate Dry Storage Area:6" x 10" x 4"
    $110 / $145

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I just made one long box out to the sides of the wheel wells. The fronts hold the speakers and the backs hold extra stuff.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

There is one of them in my parts Burb and my oponion is they are junk. I don't know what brand is in it but it looks about the same as what you posted and is a total waste. I would deffinately look at one before buying.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I picked up a steel one from an auction years ago that was ment for a truck. Had to do some slight modification to it to make it fit in the burb. Had to shorten the height about 2 inches to make if fit under the big side window in the back. But all in all, it works slick.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1056745932033173048CfPfVL

5. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I have a diamond plate one on the left side and the only modification I had to make was to notch the corner a little to clear the top. You can't fit one on the right because of the fuel tube unless you really notched it out. I didn't because I put my hi-lift there along the rail. I will post a picturre tonight. I like the steel because I wanted the capability to lock stuff up and feel secure and the plastic one didn't give me a warm fuzzy. Definitly cheaper though.

6. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I have the diamond plate one on the left and had to only notch out the corner a bit to clear the top. The right side won't accomodate one unless you REALLY notch it out for the fuel tube. I have my hi-lift mounted there along the bed rail. I like the security of the metal box, though the plastic is cheaper.