Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

side saddle gas tank removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Calclips, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    What is the easiest way to get a set of side saddle gas tanks off? Are the fuel lines that are going to the sending units on top of the tank hard lines? Do the lines need to be disconnected before I can drop the tank? If the lines do need to be disconnected before the tank is dropped, what is the easiest way to go about doing that? Thanks a lot in advance.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

What model truck? Fill out your profile or at least give the info.

Based on most likely, and what I can remember...

Obviously, get as much gas out as possible before dropping it. There are hard lines that run down the frame rail, then rubber lines jump to the tank sending unit going over the rail. You may be able to take the frame side of the rubber lines loose before dropping the tank, that would be easiest. If not, put a floor jack under the tank with a 2x6 or similar between it and the tank (may not be necessary if you have the steel skid plate). Remove the brackets from the frame (4 bolts each on the inside of the frame). Lower the tank till you can get your hands to the top and have fun with the lines. You will not have much slack in the lines so you can’t lower it too far. You can also tilt the tank a bit to aid access to the upper side. Sometimes easiest just to cut them, especially if they have been there a long time. There is also a ground wire bolted to the frame, you will need to unbolt it from the frame before you break it. Also the gauge wire unplugs from the sending unit end. If you do have the tank pump, there will be a weather pack plug in the wire above the sending unit. Oh, one more thing, the threaded end of the strap may get hung up in the frame access hole as you try to drop the tank so watch for that.

That's all I can remember. Last one I did (my K30) was easy, I had the bed off. And it’s been years since I did one on a complete vehicle so, your mileage may vary. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Sorry about that, I coulda swore I updated that info after I bought my truck. It's an 81 Chevy 3/4 longbed 4x4.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

easiest is to remove the bed first
    if that is too much work, and it is

the fuel lines have a rubber section from the tank to the hard line
    there is a sending wire to remove also
    then I found it easier to remove the frame brackets rather then try to undo the straps YMMV
    my truck has a 2" bodylift so I had some room to work between the tank and body

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

crowbar, hammer, and a sense of humor...that is how we got mine out...

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

It wasnt too hard when I pulled my tank in my 79. I just cut the rubber lines, it's a good idea to replace them anyway, and unbolted the brackets from the frame. Don't forget to unhook the filler hose. Have a couple bolts or something handy to plug the lines with in case it decides to siphen the gas out.

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

My dual tank setup is a mess, so I think I'm going to remove all of the fuel lines and the switching unit and buy a set of new fuel lines and only run 1 tank... for simplicity. Thanks for all of your guys' help