Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Side Saddle gas tank shields

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k20, Jul 9, 2002.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

How hard is it to remove these for cleaning? Just remove the 2 bolts through em and they come off? Or when i take those 2 off is the whole 20 gal. tank gonna come crashing down? Reason i ask is, everytime a hose gets near these shields mud comes pouring out. I left a hose in one for 30 mins one time, guess what, MUD STILL COMES OUT. Worryin this might cause the tanks to rust or somethin. Any ideas? and is this a fairly simple thing.
    While im thinkin about the gas tanks, i have 2 20 gal, and a FI engine, do i have a fuel pump in each tank or just one somewhere in between? Like say my left pump died, could i change to my right tank and keep on driving, or would my truck be dead? Pumps arent goin bad or havin me worried or anything, just wondering.

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Just the 2 bolts I think. The tanks are held in by strap to the frame. Take the plastic cover off and leave them off. They will cause major rot. They caused my passenger side tank bracket to rust almost completely in half. Bad enough I had to take the tank off, and I still cant find any new brackets anywhere.

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Rot???? Try completely destroyed!!!! Mine ate through the tank!!! Get rid of those fake plastic guards! They do nothing for protection against real damage and the darn things just ruin the tanks!!!!! Oh and you can probably fill that large hole in the backyard from the dog, with all the dirt they collect! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

u sure if i remove those 2 nuts or bolts the thing wont fall on me? i wanna make sure cuz both of em are full..... lotta weight there

5. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

you should have only one fuel pump (on passenger side front of motor). Jesse

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I coulda sworn the pumps were in the tanks on the fuel injected trucks. You sure youre not thinkin of the place on the carbuerated trucks?

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

On FI motors the pumps are in the tanks. Im not sure about with dual tanks though. I would think it would still be in the tank because a pusher type of pump is more efficient than a puller.(IE..in tank better than an inline)

8. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

serves me right I shoulda looked didn't know your truck was FI, I have no clue where your pump is probably either one on the frame rail or two one in each tank. Jesse