Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SIDE SAGGIN' SPRINGS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazinaire, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

SIDE SAGGIN\' SPRINGS

I have an 87 k5 with 6'' tough country ez-rides up front and ORD shackle flip w/1 1/2'' blocks on the rear. My problem is that after only 4 months of wheelin with this suspension the passenger side sits almost 2'' lower than the left. How can I fix this?

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Re: SIDE SAGGIN\' SPRINGS

Holy ****, someone else has my dang "lean to one side" syndrome?? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I have 6" Superlift springs, ORD shackle flip in rear + 2.5" Superlift springs in rear, and mine does exactly the same thing!! I have checked body mounts, etc, don't see anything out of the ordinary...

You know, you would think that with me in it 99% of the time only (sitting on driver's side of course), it would be lower on the driver's side if at all? But no, it leans lower on the passenger's side??? If anyone has an answer to this, I think both I and Blazinaire would love to hear it! Is it just that the springs are worn out over there? What else am I missing here?

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

me three /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

hmmm, maybe the EZ ride springs are too soft. I may reconsider buying them.

5. DesertDueler

I think my frame might be bent though. My truck has led a harsh life /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I also might have a bent frame, but this sag thing is a recent thing. My truck does the ol' "dogleg" when driving (if you are behind it, it appears that the truck is driving slightly sideways -does that make sense?) But the springs have been perfectly level for over a year and a half, and now, about a month ago, I notice the truck is lower on the right side...something is weird...

7. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

My passenger side sags about an inch......I have the factory leafs with blocks and I'm pretty convinced that pass. leaf is just wore out. The front doesn't lean, it has the 4" E-Z ride springs. I've been looking around for another set of rear springs to try to get a matching height set. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Your dogleging deal is normal Keith... so don't worry about a bent frame if that is your only cause.

IMO... it comes down to spring quality... I'm happy thus far with my BDS. I also like ther old Skyjackers I had on another truck. I have known a few guys running Superlift and EZ's and both had sag issues as well.

9. DesertDueler

My springs are 4" ez-ride up front and 6" ez ride rear. I didnt have a problem with it sagging until I rolled it six times /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. tagurit

tagurit Registered Member

My 81 sags also. On the pass side. I plan on adding a 2-4 inch lift to resolve this so which kit would be my best bet?

I don't plan on doing any rock crawling... mainly cause we don't have any rocks, here, that ya can't skip across the water.

I want a better ride also, if that is possible.

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I say if you get the sides dented enough, you won't be able to tell if it's "dogleggin" or not...! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

But seriously, so much twisting in the frame and workin' the sh!t out of the springs.... who knows what the real cause is... I know that my truck was plagued with it a couple of years ago - I swapped left springs for right springs to no avail.... and finally I traced it to the right rear spring perch on the axle being bent (kinda convex on top)...! This caused a "reverse arch" in the middle of the springs when the U-bolts were tightened. Gotta admit that I fixed it the easy way as I added one more leaf to the right rear spring than the left one has!

Marv

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

marv,
    i am surprised you even have sides. i am sure one day when you get your buggy done you will tube the blazer out.
    and the tail light cracks me up too.
    Grant

13. Blazinaire

So did the add a leaf fix the problem? Is it okay to use add a leafs on the front?

14. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

You think the front is your problem?... I guess I'd do more investigating before I just started adding leaves.

Is your frame relatively straight? If so, take some measurements to see if the right side spring has less arch. How old are the springs? Maybe time for new ones (good time to upgrade)?

Maybe pull the 2 fronts off and lay them on the ground and take "unloaded" measurements.

The answer to your ? is.... yes, adding a leaf leveled the truck. I didn't fix the problem, but at least I was able to find the cause.

Marv

15. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

This is probably a stupid question and is probably a lame explanation for the "lean", but what do you guys think of this? I was looking at the truck last night when I got home from work, and something popped into my head - my truck is almost always parked out in the street in front of the house (it leaks too much for the driveway!) The right side is basically in the gutter, and the street has a pretty decent crown to it - is it remotely possible that this constant "leaning" of the truck to the right side has anything to do with my/our unleveled trucks? I know, I'm grasping at straws here, but figured I would ask what you guys thought?? Could it be that the weight is transferring to the right side and slowly stressing the right side springs more than the left??

It's pretty far-fetched I realize, but figured if I didn't ask I would never get someone's elses opinion! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif So, what do you think?

16. Blazinaire

Well I think the front is the problem, although it is the whole side of the truck that is leaning, not particularly to one corner. I am using the original rear spring packs but I took them off the vehicle and the left and right spring have the same arch to them and there were no broken leaves in either pack. My front springs (6'' ez-rides) have only been on the truck for about 4 months and when I look at the passenger side I can see that the shackle is at quite a bit more of an angle than the drivers side shackle is. This shackle angle points to the spring being compressed, not a collapsed perch. And once again I found no broken leaves in the front packs either. ORD said they would replace my springs if they were really sagging that bad, but I figured if I could save myself the cost of shipping by throwing an add-a-leaf to the front pack and have it level my truck then that is what I would go with. So I guess my new question is will adding another leaf to the pack correct the shackle angle and should I go with a short leaf or a long leaf? Will it drastically increase the stiffness or will I hardly notice? What brand add-a-leaf should I get and where can I find them?