Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Side Trim & Horn

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Crash90K5, Mar 5, 2000.

1. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

Anyone have any good ideas of pulling the side trip off? It seems to be held on by that double sided "sponge" tape. When I go to pull it off, it leaves some on the metal. What kind of solvent, etc would work without destroying the paint. Not like it's in good condition to begin with... [​IMG]

Also, this is a REALLY stupid question, but I can't find my horn. It's a 90, and with all that cr@p under the hood, I can't see anything that would function as a horn. Nobody's around to be my ears under the hood, figured someone could point me in the right direction.

Later

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Bud,
    Your horn is behind the grille, usually one on each side, one provides a low tone and the other a high tone, duality don't ya love it.
    Next go to your favorite parts store or wally world or k-mart and in the auto section get Super Clean by Castrol. The stuff is in a white bottle and inside it is purple.It will take anything off.I have used it to remove old wax, tar, bird thank you's. Does wonders for your tires, and the windshield never got so clean. Please read the directions prior to use!
    [​IMG]

<font color=green>Eagle86K5

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

To remove the glue off the body without making a big mess . I use a rubber set of discs that 3m sells, I don't have a number for this tool I can get it later . It attaches to drill and won't hurt your paint . If you go to a auto paint store they should be able to help.

4. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Not sure about that '90, but my '79 also had rivets under that strip. I could fill em, but the body is trashed anyway.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

5. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I pulled real slowly while heating with a hair-drier.

For the spots that got really stuck on I used bug+tar remover. Then for the spots that were hardended too much I used acetone. Paint seems fine. Trick with acetone as I've now learned is to get pure 100% (not nail-polish remover) and also that it evaporates in 3 seconds. Keep a finger on the bottle opening and dab a cloth really often with it. A bit of elbow grease and it's all gone. Worked on the pin striping also...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

6. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

buy a can of 3M adhesive remover, works great. you can get it at a painter's supply.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

vegetable oil will pull ALL glue off damn near ANYTHING, then ya clean the veggie oil with soap and water. its never failed me yet.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

8. Crash90K5

Hopefully mine doesn't have rivets, but just in case... When peeling away the trim, how did the rivets come out? Did it mushroom the holes in the sheet metal?

9. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

they were a slider piece on the trim. The trim came off and left these big clip deals. I had to cut them off with a grinder, not pretty.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

10. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Crash if you have a 90 do you have the black "lower" mouldings? Whats' wrong with them? I had the higher silver ones on my 88 and they had faded from the 12 years in the AZ sun. Always thought the lower ones looked a lot better.

11. Crash90K5

Yep, these are the black lower mouldings. I'm slowly "blacking out" my rig, and the moulding has a chromish looking strip at the very top. Also, I just don't think they add much functionality (besides taking abuse from shopping carts), as this is pretty much a weekend warrior. What about door dings? Pretty much any "car" door will take out the rocker panels, if anything. [​IMG] Seriously though, I'm trying to ditch anything that's not necessary, but still keep me legal on the street. Do you want me to try and salvage them?

12. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Absolutely. If you don't want them I'll be happy to take them off your hands.