Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Side view mirror replacement>>>>

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, May 22, 2003.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

so if anyone has ever replaced an outside mirror you know there is an inside backing plate that the screws screw into. The last time I did this replacement (I keep busting mirrors on the trail /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) that stupid plate fell to the bottom of the door. Lots of swearing and a magnet to retrive it I mangaed to get it back in place. So tonight I am swapin in a new mirror.
    Does anyone have any 'tricks' on keeping that backing plate inplace for a smooth and easy swap??????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

put a piece of tape on it to hold it in place /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

JBWeld it there permanently /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

if you loosen all the screws some, then removed the two screw that are on the same side.. the one screw on the other side should hold the plate on, then get a screw in the backing plate to hold it on while you remove the one screw holding the mirror on, get the new mirror and screw it into the one hole side...hopefully the plate will not fall off...
    or you could do the same but before you screw the new mirror on, put all three screws back on to hold the backing plate in place and drill one or two holes somewhere in the middle on that thing to attach it to the door for good...
    now I just have mine screw to the door only with no backing plate...good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Long arms... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Actually, I held the backing plate in place with one screw with out the mirror first, Then I put the mirror on loosely with the another screw and removed the first screw to line up the next two (I have the '69 style mirrors with three holes.)

You could try some double stick tape on the back of the plate.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks Fellas!
    The tape or JBweld is not an option. I can't get my hand in there.Last time I had to try and hold it inplace with a magnet extesion thingy. I just don't want to remove the door pannel, thoes old ass plactice holders will shurly bust. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    I like the idea of reinserting the screws and even drilling a center hole for a 'keeper' screw /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif keeps all the work on the outside /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Thanks agin!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I just put mine on yesterday.I used a pair of needle nose vise-grips.Clamped those on the edge of the plate and held it there from one of the upper inside door holes.But you don't want to take the panel off so I'd go with the rotating screws or that center screw is a pretty good idea as well.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Why do you keep putting mirrors back on if you will just bust them off again?

I finally found a mirror that I think will stay out of the way. Pep Boys has some high mount round mirrors (40's style) that I am going to put on. They clamp onto the wing window lip up high and should stay out of the way.

My inner door pannel is held in my screws. The 72 pannels use those stupid plastic things (which I brake off every time I take off my s10 door pannels). You can buy those things at just about any auto parts store. I would just take it off and replace them all to make it easier.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why do you keep putting mirrors back on if you will just bust them off again?

I finally found a mirror that I think will stay out of the way. Pep Boys has some high mount round mirrors (40's style) that I am going to put on. They clamp onto the wing window lip up high and should stay out of the way.

My inner door pannel is held in my screws. The 72 pannels use those stupid plastic things (which I brake off every time I take off my s10 door pannels). You can buy those things at just about any auto parts store. I would just take it off and replace them all to make it easier.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I like the lil style and don't want a different look. it's just I keep having bad luck with them. 1st one got taken out by a branch that was bent back by the frontend and when it released front ehfront it SMACKED the mirror glass part right out and made the backing lossiegossie and wouldn't stay in place. This last one just barly cliped a rock right when the rig shifted and snap by by morror.
    I got the new one in by reinserting the screws and keeping that plate tight against the door skin.
    Thanks all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif