Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Side work jobs???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Jun 23, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

What do you guys do for jobs on the side? Almost everyone I know has something from rent houses to construction to paid on call firemen to pizza delivery. What do you do, what's it pay, and do you like it? And what's it take to get into something like that? And no man-whore or pimp comments, let's keep this real guys. I'm sure everybody's looking to pocket a little cash!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I pound nails for a living on a regular basis. On the side I design, build and maintain websites... Kinda backwards eh?

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I make parts for these chevy trucks to help build mine own truck, that way the wife can't get on me for spending money cause it just side cash...ummm, do you work for the IRS? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm in the AirForce Money sucks so I work part time down town ( well as soon as my shoulder heals up a little more ) for a Diesel repair place in town at night. On saturdays I work for a sand and gravel Buisness as a Truck driver/loader operator/crusher operator/mechanic

5. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

My Wife and I have done house/pet sitting for the past 10 years. It is fairly easy $$ and can be fun too!

6. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I worked a part-time job at Home Depot for a little more than a year to pay down some credit card debt. The pay was better than most part-time retail jobs ($9.50/hr.). Biggest aggravation were your typical stupid customers and total lack of a sufficient or knowledgeable staff. Plus the job training was a total joke. I kept that job alot longer than I had originally planned. Probably would still work there, just got worn out and decided my free time was worth more than they were paying.

Lance

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I sell Trans Am parts on the side, the link to my business is in my siggy. Once we get in our house, we're going to start mowing lawns and things like that on the weekends for some extra dough.

8. mudgition

mudgition 1/2 ton status

I'm a full time student and the truck driving intructor at the college.
    On the side, at nights, I do removals for the local funeral homes. You know, go to where the deceased is bring them back to the funeral home for embalming or cremation. It pays about 45 dollars an hour but it can be at anytime. And it usually is.

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Awesome, how'd you get a job like that?

10. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Plowing driveways is great if ya like beating up your truck and being out late/early. Just be HEAVILY insured. Commercial jobs are where the bigger $$$ is at though.
    I go to school full time and work part time at a grocery store. Sometimes at 4, 5, 6 in the a.m. I'm not even a morning person, what the hell am I doing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well I just sold my plow so that's out. Being out in the cold just doesn't appeal to me, yeah i'm a big texas wussy so what. I just want to work a part time for a few months since I have a purchase I want that's somewhere around $2000 prob. And No, i'm not with the irs. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

For truck money I work part time (Saturdays) at a Toyota dealer in parts.

Originally, I worked there full time for 10 years and then left to go to the software company I'm with now. One of the counter guys got hurt so they asked me to come back on Saturdays and help out. I've been there almost a year now and the pay is real good but it's getting old. My goal is to leave around November after I get a few more toys for the K5.

13. yellowK20

I was thinking about That they are opening a lowes and a home depot right next to each other in town they pay pretty good for this area (average wage is about 8.50 an hour)

14. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I build computers and sell them. An example of my work is in my webshots under computer for sale.

15. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

It wasn't too bad. I worked at one in East B'ham that was located right between an exclusive community and the poorest part of B'ham. The mixture of customers was interesting to say the least.

And if you have a mechanical aptitude, which most people here do, be expected to have all your co-workers pawn customers off on you to explain how things should work/ be repaired.

The most frustrating part was it never seemed anyone waned to do a job right and even fewer people have even the slightest idea of what that want/need to do.

The other frustrating part was that people don't realize they are shopping in a warehouse where you pay less but also get less service as a result. People, especially seniors, get VERY upset when you can't take the time to walk them from one end to the other and hold their hand the whole way. If they wanted that they should have went to an ACE or TSC where you pay a little more and get better service (which I said on multiple occassions). Good luck if you decide to do it. It takes a special person to work retail, especially in a warehouse environment.

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

One job is enough thank you. Life is too short to work all the time.
    For extra bucks I Play the stock market&day trade. Mostly penny stocks.. Good $$$$$ for little effort.
    Leaves more time to have fun /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey landsmasher.......... I thought you was gonna to buy a whorehouse and be a pimp
    Now thats a good second job. Pounding puss is a whole lot better than pounding nails /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. yellowK20

Thanks I was just loking in to it Ilike my night job but I only make about 6 bucks an hour Plus there price on parts an oil and free use of the shops lifts , tire machines, full service machine shop,plus I get to use the wreckers and Trailers so I can't complain but the place belongs to my G/F's grandfather so I could probaly still use the stuff on weekends

18. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey landsmasher.......... I thought you was gonna to buy a whorehouse and be a pimp

[/ QUOTE ]

That will be a full time job. We are in the process of dealing with the agent now. We have already filled out all the paperwork for the Govt. Grant for re-opening the runway. Now it's just a matter of finishing up the purchase of the property. We're going to open the runway first though. Once that is completed we will be building hangars and installing pads for trailers. Then comes the whore house. So it's going to be a while... But well worth the effort me thinks. This will be more like a working retirement. CK5 Paid Members will get a 50% discount for the first year of operation! Maybe I'll even advertise on this site... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i'm active duty Air Force, but starting tomorrow, i will be working part time at AutoZone. i'll be putting in about 15 hours a week there. i also do side work here at home by working on friends vehicles.

20. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

For side money I work Saturdays....it pays $125 from 7-1. If only I could drag my lazy a$$ out of bed I'd work more of them.

My other side job still involves work, I'm now doing engineered floors and estimating but I still get comp. from sales so if I pick up extra cust. its more money