Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sidewall damage tire repair??? and a rant, Arggg!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mplogic, May 9, 2003.

1. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I went to a movie last weekend and some @sshole punctured one of my almost new 35" Mudders. Discount refused to replace it because their lifetime warranty doesn't cover vandalism. They also refused to repair it saying it couldn't be fixed correctly. Its a tiny slash only about 1/4 inch long that looks like it was made by one of those keychain swiss army knives.

They even tried to charge me $249 for a new tire even though I only paid $169 each for them originally. "Sorry, prices have gone up, nothing we can do about it" BS! I finally got them to give me one for half price as a "customer complaint" or something like that, but then they tried to take this tire away from me. I was like no way, if you replace it for free you can have it, if I have to buy a new one, then this one is mine. Then the guy has the audacity to ask me what I want to do with it. Geez, I'm gonna hang it over my mantle and stare at it for 3 hours a night, doesn't matter, it's my frikkin tire!

Anyway, sorry for the rant. What I'm wondering is can a tiny sidewall slash like this be safely patched? I remember gouging a much larger hole in some 33" muds I had on my Toyota a few years ago and Discount patched it right up even though I hadn't bought the tires there, so I believe it's possible and I could at least get a good spare out of it, right?

Thanks for the input.

2. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I do know there are special patches for side walls but have not seen any for a while may try doing a serch on the web. I put a
    slice in a new Swamper and put a tube in the tire and four wheeled it for about 2 years never had any trouble may want to try it.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have a sidewall patch in one of my swampers and its held up. I keep an eye on it though. Try a few other tire shops. Most wont touch them due to the liability. Looks like you got screwed.

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Generally, Id say to customers with a hole/slash in their side walls that it will be hard to fix it because if I were to plug it then the plug wouldnt have any steel belts to hold on to. I usually go ahead and tell them to get a new tire just to be on the safe side. However if its a brand new tire I usually tell them to take it back if they have the warranty. In your case, since they were dicks about it, you could put a tube in it and be on your way /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Next time you take a tire in for road hazard just tell them you were driving around and it went flat.

Anyway, I do know of a couple of guys in our club that have had sidewall punctures repaird. One was on a bias Swamper and the other on a radial. Neither of the two trucks gets driven a lot, but neither has had any problems for at least a couple of years now.

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Depending on the damage it can be repaied safly.
    Its called Section Repair and it has been around for
    more than 30 years and it is approved by the
    American Rubber Assoc, which by the why
    Dicsount Tire claims to be a member.

Good luck

P.s. I do know of only one shop in Arizonia
    that will do a Section repair for about $25.00

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I think the Safety Seal kit can patch it up, if you do just make it a trail spare...

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Go to a different Discount and tell them you cut a sidewall while offroad. Rough up the hole a little with a rock or something. Just don't tell them you had it slashed.

9. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i've worked around tires a lot of years. the majority of the time i wouldn't repair sidewall damage, but in your case, since the hole is really small. put a patch on it and tube it. that's the safest way to run a tire with a hole in the sidewall. a tube shouldn't be too expensive.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've had real good experiences with Discount, but I've never had a problem like yours either.

Did you pay the extra $15 or so (if they offered it) for the "lifetime warranty" or whatever? I got a big nail through the sidewall of my 33" BFG's after about a year of running them, and they replaced the tire for nothing, short of me having to pay $15 or whatever for a "certificate" that covers the tire repair.

As you can see, if the tire you bought was one that could have been "upgraded" to the lifetime warranty, the $60 for all tires would have been well worth it. In my case, the tire I replaced was $125 or so, but still worth all 4 getting that warranty, and new after a year to boot /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the input guys. Yea I bought the lifetime warranty but I think it was more like $20 a tire. Still didn't cover "vandalism" though. Realistically I don't know that someone slashed my tire, I thought it was pretty strange that they would just pucture one of them. They must've just wanted to kinda screw me, not completely screw me??? Anyway, I'll probably look into getting it patched and running a tube and just keeping it as a spare. I just couldn't believe that a $200 or so tire could be totally trashed by a tiny little slit. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Any recommendations on where to have that done in Phoenix?

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yea I bought the lifetime warranty but I think it was more like $20 a tire. Still didn't cover "vandalism" though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd find a different Discount then, as for all they know (and for all you know), you could have run over a pocket knife, and thats a road hazard.

Big cop out if you ask me...besides, if they wanted to keep you as a customer, they would have repeated your statement "You ran over a stick, heres your replacement"