Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sidewall slit in 4WP bought tire, but no service centers, what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by monster man, Mar 21, 2006.

1. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

hey all, I've got a bit of a dillema, I ordered these Boggers from (ugh) 4WP, but noticed one of them has a slice in the sidewall, it's not through the tire, but I think it's a safety hazard. Might of happened driving around the floodwaters recently. No service centers around close to take the tire to with their "excellent warranty", ha. Tires are 95% new though. Would you have a local shop attempt a patch or ship the tire back?

:(

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

side wall damage is not repairable, I'd send it back

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Call them before you send it back. Since it's already been mounted and driven on, they'll probably tell you you're out of luck.

If it does end up leaking, about the only thing you can do is tube it. I have one tubed tire right now for this very reason. Other than that, you're buying a new tire.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Is the truck a trail only truck or does it see highway use? If it is a trailered trail only truck you might be able to get it re-vulcanized. They do it to big rig tires from what I here. On a sidewall I wouldn't drive it on the street though.

Harley

5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just had a sidewall sectioned and repaired as well as a 2" +/- hole in the tread of a 42" tire vulcanized. The thing looks so good that I put it right into service and am expecting it to live and be just fine.

Does the slice go through the cords? If not I would just run it if it were me. If it goes through the cords it needs profesional repair or replaced.