Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

siding experts: trimming around exterior doors/windows for vinyl siding

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Oct 23, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

how thick of boards should i be using around windows and doors exterior if i am prepping for normal common residential vinyl siding ?

are 3/4 x 3 1/2" enough or should i double them up and make them 1 1/2" by 3 1/2"

gonna bend metal around them all, so,
    normal J channel will be abutting all exterior around windows/doors etc.

alot of the time si see ppl double up 1x3 lumber but i just wanted to make sure
    ?

thanks

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

why use wood at all? Vinyl channel will be used along all ends to hide the edges of the siding. The channel can be butted to the edges of the doors and windows, and you don't have any wood trim to paint or rot

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Depending on the J-chanel sze most people use 5/4x4 to get a 1" net thickness, Most 1by cost more than 2by so its kinda silly to spend the money. If you go with 5/4 board you can save a little $ by using 5/4x6 and ripping it in half for a 2-5/8" board which looks ok.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

why use wood at all? Vinyl channel will be used along all ends to hide the edges of the siding. The channel can be butted to the edges of the doors and windows, and you don't have any wood trim to paint or rot

[/ QUOTE ]

well no trim at all around doors and windows would look horrible

gonna have metal bent around them, you know, like normal, like all other houses have, at least in this part of the country anyways, that wood trim around windows and doors helps seal and keep insulation around door and window frames in place, it gets cold and windy here, dunno about there where you are

thanks

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Depending on the J-chanel sze most people use 5/4x4 to get a 1" net thickness, Most 1by cost more than 2by so its kinda silly to spend the money. If you go with 5/4 board you can save a little $ by using 5/4x6 and ripping it in half for a 2-5/8" board which looks ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

what the heck is 5/4 ??
    i am totally lost! lol

is 3 1/2" wide wood around doors too wide then ? or ?
    i figured to go with that around the doors and with 2 1/4" around the windows since they arent real big windows, they are about 28" horizontal x 33" vertical

doors about 81" vertical and normal width entry design, one is a fire door, this is on a normal house, 2 small bedroom most of it built in 1982

thanks

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

1x4 = 3/4"x3-1/2" net
    5/4x4 = 1"x3-1/2" net

Usualy J-channel is 3/4 or 7/8" so people tpicaly use 5/4.

The only reason I say rip 5/4x6 in half is to save a little money.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    1x4 = 3/4"x3-1/2" net
    5/4x4 = 1"x3-1/2" net

[/ QUOTE ]

im still not really understanding those dimensions, but then i am far far away form being a carpenter/woodworker, i am a mechanically/electrically/vehicle oriented person, hmm.

so basically with the 3/4" thick stuff i have put up already i am gonna be about flush or just undcer flush with the J channel huh, right ?
    im using lumber i already have stored in this building, all used/salvaged stuff mainly

what is better to do, have trim around openings closer to flush with siding, or out a little ? what looks better and/or is better for the house in regards to rain and weather extremes, etc., ?

5/4 dimension just has me all completely lost

thats 1 and 1/4 right ?

only thing i have and can use around here is 3/4" thick stuff, IE 1 x 4's or 1x3's

i mean i have alot of 2 x lumber around but thats 1 1/2" thick, that seems like alot unless the j channels are thick ? but apparently they are around 3/4 or 7/8" thick

do i need to be looking on houses and buildings around here to see how they are done and follow close to them or ?

thanks

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    1x4 = 3/4"x3-1/2" net
    5/4x4 = 1"x3-1/2" net

[/ QUOTE ]

im still not really understanding those dimensions, but then i am far far away form being a carpenter/woodworker, i am a mechanically/electrically/vehicle oriented person, hmm.

so basically with the 3/4" thick stuff i have put up already i am gonna be about flush or just undcer flush with the J channel huh, right ?
    im using lumber i already have stored in this building, all used/salvaged stuff mainly

what is better to do, have trim around openings closer to flush with siding, or out a little ? what looks better and/or is better for the house in regards to rain and weather extremes, etc., ?

thats 1 and 1/4 right ?

only thing i have and can use around here is 3/4" thick stuff, IE 1 x 4's or 1x3's

i mean i have alot of 2 x lumber around but thats 1 1/2" thick, that seems like alot unless the j channels are thick ? but apparently they are around 3/4 or 7/8" thick

do i need to be looking on houses and buildings around here to see how they are done and follow close to them or ?

tell you what... putting these boards around openings sure strengthens up the door and window frames! big time! this has been something needing to be done for a long time, the original factory crown type moldings they air nail around window and door casings was crap, they were rotting and barely attached to the frames, these 1 by boards are muuuuch better,.

thanks

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    1x4 = 3/4"x3-1/2" net
    5/4x4 = 1"x3-1/2" net

[/ QUOTE ]

thats 1 and 1/4 right ?

tell you what... putting these boards around openings sure strengthens up the door and window frames! big time! this has been something needing to be done for a long time, the original factory crown type moldings they air nail around window and door casings was crap, they were rotting and barely attached to the frames, these 1 by boards are muuuuch better,.

wish i had a digicam these days again, hum,m,

thanks