Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sierra Trek.

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Gold Rush, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Dawgs,

O.K. I talked to Gary Johnson tonight. The Organization would like our club to chair the fullsize run each year for the Sierra Trek. That means picking the trail to be run and organizing that run each year. The trail must be in the general vicinity of the base camp. The trail picked already for this year is the trail they use for the "Run-a-Muck". I will be pre-running this trail on the 3rd of August. They had just one person in charge of putting the fullsize run together for the last decade or so. This guy is burned out. That's why they have asked us to take it over. As a club we have enough people to not put such a burden on just one person. This year all we need to do is lead this run and the following years we will take over all involved for it. Gary asked if we could do this. I told him I would lead this years run and our club will discuss the takeover for future years. It would be nice if there were at least two more rigs to help with this year.

The event is the 8th through the 11th of August. The fullsize run is going to be on the 10th which is Saturday. There is a cost for the volunteers of $60. The fee covers Brunch and Supper for Thursday - Saturday and Breakfast on Sunday. I'm not sure of the fee for participants. Oh Saturday night is T-Bone steaks and baked potatoe with all the trimmings. If there is two other rigs to help me then we will come back to the club and report how things went. Also what exactly would be expected of the club if we choose to take this on.

Did I leave anything out?

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif David /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

The information and links below is only for the trail itself and not the base camp.

Here is a link to a map of the Bear Valley/Cottonwood trail.
    http://www.cal4wheel.com/d4w/muck/ram_trail_map1x1.jpg

Map to trail.
    http://www.cal4wheel.com/d4w/community/adopt/bear_valley1x1.jpg

Located at Bear Valley Campground, the trail is located approximately 18 miles north of Truckee, CA. Following highway 89 north, follow the R.A.M. signs leading you into camp.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Some quates from there site:

Sierra Trek is the largest all-volunteer four-wheel event in the country requiring approximately 500
    volunteers to take care of all the needs for 1,500 participants from throughout the world. The majority
    of the participants on Sierra Trek choose this event to drive the difficult and challenging Fordyce
    Creek Trail from Cisco Grove to the base camp at Meadow Lake.

Safety Requirements

The following SAFETY rules will be enforced for each run, and there will be NO refunds issued to
    vehicles turned away for not meeting the safety requirements.

1. Roll bar or factory installed hard top.

2. Functional parking brake or micro-lock

3. Tow strap or rope (recommend rated at 2 times the vehicle weight)

4. First aid kit.

5. Jack capable of lifting the vehicle & tools to change tire.

6. Spare tire with diameter within 3 inches of existing tires (no temporary

spares)

7. Fire extinguisher with gauge indicating good/full, appropriately stored

8. Seat belts for all vehicle occupants

9. Antenna(s) must not exceed 4’6"

10. Adequate attachment points front and rear, i.e. tow hooks, receiver, etc.

Tow balls are not recommended.

11. Battery hold downs (no bungie cords).

12. Must have functioning low range in transfer case.

13. Driver must show proof of liability insurance.

Saturday Long Wheel Base - August 10, 2002:
    The Saturday LWB trip is open to all properly equipped 4WD vehicles. It departs Saturday
    morning at approximately 6 am and traverses the Bear Valley Loop Trail. Includes: One
    dash plaque, Saturday trail breakfast, trail lunch, camp dinner, and Sunday breakfast. Trip
    limited to 100 vehicles. $95 per adult, $30 per child 7-12 years. Children under 7 free.

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Im in but where the heck is Fordyce.That is where its at right ?Found lots of info on it but not what its by or how ta get there.

4. gokartergo

Another quote:
    Meadow Lake is located approximately 45 miles north of Truckee. The Sierra Trek base camp at the
    lake offers ample camping for recreational vehicles, trailers and tent camping.

5. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Here is a list of events:

Thursday Short Wheel Base - August 8, 2002: SOLD OUT
    The Thursday SWB trip departs Thursday morning at approximately 7:00 am and traverses the Fordyce Creek Trail to Meadow Lake. Includes: One dash plaque, Thursday trail breakfast, trail lunch, camp dinner, Friday camp brunch, dinner, Saturday camp brunch, dinner, and Sunday breakfast. Trip limited to 60 vehicles. $125 per adult, $30 per child 7-12 years. Children under 7 free.

Friday Short Wheel Base - August 9, 2002:
    The Friday SWB trip departs Friday morning from 6 - 7:30 am (depending on group) and traverses the Fordyce Creek Trail to Meadow Lake. Includes: One dash plaque, Friday trail breakfast, trail lunch, camp dinner, Saturday camp brunch, dinner, and Sunday breakfast. Trip limited to 125 vehicles. $110 per adult, $30 per child 7-12 years. Children under 7 free.

Friday STAR TREK - August 9, 2002:
    The Friday SWB Star Trek trip departs Friday evening at 6 pm and traverses the Fordyce Creek Trail to Meadow Lake overnight. Registration is open only to drivers who have driven the Fordyce Creek Trail on at least two previous Sierra Treks. Driver must provide proof of previous trips upon registration committee request. Includes: One dash plaque, Friday camp brunch, trail lunch, Star Trek breakfast, Saturday camp brunch, dinner, and Sunday breakfast. Trip limited to 35 vehicles. $115 per adult, $30 per child 7-12 years. Children under 7 free.

Saturday Short Wheel Base - August 10, 2002:
    The Saturday SWB trip departs Saturday morning from 6 - 7:30 am (depending on group) and traverses the Fordyce Creek Trail to Meadow Lake. Includes: One dash plaque, Saturday trail breakfast, trail lunch, camp dinner, and Sunday breakfast. Trip limited to 115 vehicles. $95 per adult, $30 per child 7-12 years. Children under 7 free.

Saturday Long Wheel Base - August 10, 2002:
    The Saturday LWB trip is open to all properly equipped 4WD vehicles. It departs Saturday morning at approximately 6 am and traverses the Bear Valley Loop Trail. Includes: One dash plaque, Saturday trail breakfast, trail lunch, camp dinner, and Sunday breakfast. Trip limited to 100 vehicles. $95 per adult, $30 per child 7-12 years. Children under 7 free.

Saturday Scenic SUV Run - August 10, 2002:
    This trip is for all 4WD sport utility vehicles. It departs Saturday morning from base camp at Meadow Lake and tours the scenic and historical area surrounding Meadow Lake. Includes: One dash plaque, Saturday trail breakfast, trail lunch, camp dinner, and Sunday breakfast. Trip limited to 35 vehicles. $105 per adult, $30 per child 7-12 years. Children under 7 free.

Entertainment Only:
    No meals, no trail. $40 per adult, $15 per child 7-12, children under 7 free.

Food/Entertainment Only:
    No trail. Includes entertainment and camp meals from Thursday dinner through Sunday breakfast. $80 per adult, $30 per child 7-12, children under 7 free.

David

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

WoooHooo!!! Somethin close to me finally!!! I can get there in less than an hour or so.....Count me in David. Whatever ya need me to do. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Are you available on the 3rd of Aug. to run it with me?

David

8. Zeus33rd

Hell yeah! Sent ya a PM. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

wow..looks like i wont be able to run the trail...i cant afford to buy all the required things before then...but i can go to the party thing at night...just too much crap to buy in a short period of time especialy when i am only workin part time....oh well...unless i win the lotto between now and then i am out for the trail run /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

10. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Count me in too.....sent you a pm..mike /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

They didn't say anything about height Im in. No wait my tranny's broke Next time im in. Later
    <font color="red"> 1 FN HI K5 </font color>

12. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey david If you want a spotter I will be more that happy to spot but here is some info on this "fullsize"trail-
    In this review they say....Well You can read it...I will leave my junk at home after looking at the review....Let me know on the spotter thing...mike /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Trail..

13. gokartergo

The full size trail isn't the Fordyce Creek run.. That is for the Jeeps.. The full size run is diffrent...

14. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Well I guess my junk can go if it isnt that one I just saw the 10 rating and went /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif And knew that my junk wasn't ready for that...LOL..Dan or david is there a trail already picked and I just got the wrong one last post just want to see what I will be getting into.....LOL..mike

Never mind I saw it added..Put me down for it sorry for all the flip flopping back and forth....mike

15. gokartergo

I am up in the air on if I can go..It is up to my son.. Today he is doing great. But who nows about tomorrow...Dan

16. Zeus33rd

Damn Chaz....WHat all do you have to get? You've still got like 3 weeks. Let us know what ya need, Maybe some of us can help ya out. If ya still can't get what ya need, my co-pilots spot is open. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

17. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well this is what i need/need to install.
    tow strap
    first aid kit
    jack capable of lifting the vehicle (i have a jack...just dosent work well off road at all..i need a high lift)
    Fire Extinguisher
    attachment points for front.
    i am goin to try to swing buyin all that stuff by then...but i dont know if i would be able to do it...i still want to go to the party thing at night..its alot cheeper that way anyway...all that stuff on the list i have needed for way too long...i should of had it all years ago...just never saw a need for it within the group of friends i wheeled with around here...everyone seemed to have a little bit of everything and not much need for everyone to have their own stuff...so thats why i never bothered to buy any of it...but now i have an excuse to /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

18. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Chaz I have a set of 2 gen tow hooks you could borrow, and a botle jack same thing. They say you need a jack you can change a tire with. A first aid kit could be some bandaids and asprin. And you need to have a tow strap and fire ex. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

ah..i would radther try to buy it all myself so then i have it...i dont know why..but it bugs me when i have to borrow something..just one of thos mental things i guess /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I'll have to wait untill next year /forums/images/icons/frown.gif WAY too close to take off time for MOAB!!!!
    Have fun take pictures......