Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Signs a 12 bolt Gov-Loc is going out.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Mar 11, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I drove my '73 Blazer 85 miles home today and it did fine on the highway...no noises or vibration. But at slow speeds or when I take off from a stop theres a bad clunking from the rear and a wobble noticable up until about 20 mph.

What are the common signs a Gov Loc is going out?

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

very small little metal filings in the oil, check your pinion nut to make sure its tight, when mine blew the nut was finger tight, that might of had somthing to do with it, i dont know, but it was bad.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My first clue was the shrapnel going through the cover... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My first clue was the shrapnel going through the cover... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ] Damn, you beat me to it! Another thing I noticed mine would do before it grenaded was that it would lock up like a spool out of no where and then randomly let go again. After even short drives on the highway, the diff would get too hot to hold my hand against. Another dead give away was the gaping hole that the cross shaft blew through the cast iron housing /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's almost as much fun as playing Russian Roulette...just not as bad for your health./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm...my 12 bolt scattered some parts through the housing too I think. It was open though.