Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Signs of a bad power steering pump??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 13, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Problem is with my 97 but I'm sure you guys will know based on most trucks. At low RPMs(2000 and below) the steering gets real tight. Like I will turn a little to the left and it feels like the tire hits a block then suddenlly someone removes the block and it turns fine. I'm thinking power steering pump or just bad steering components since its an IFS and theres a lot to go wrong under there. I'm gonna regrease steering stuff today and see if that helps.

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Sounds like a pump to me /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

had a simaler prob refilled it and got air out and it all good!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Those trucks had a lot of balljoint problems--including the lumpy steering symptoms you described--I'd check them out thouroghly,they dont have to be loose to be faulty,I've seen some at my friends alignment shop that would seize up and "snap"loose while steering.Also make sure the idler arm is in good shape--sometimes they flex enough when worn to let the tierods rub on the frame--could be the steering box too,I hope its not that--check the rag joint and colum too,and the bolts holding the box on.In one case a bad power steering hose caused similar symptoms also,it was collapsing internally. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif