Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

signs of a bad steering box?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Mar 21, 2002.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

ok,,,if i am in the drive way with the engine running and turn the wheel either l/r, the tires dont want to turn until i put it in gear and let it roll about 6" or so. its like when you try to parallel park a car/truck w/ manual steering and its easier to turn the wheels if its rollong.

Is this making since? i have also noticed that the steering wheel is harder to turn than it should be. not impossible, just difficult. this is really noticable when making turns onto a side street and trying to straiten the steering wheel back out w/ one finger like i can in other vehicles. i know the swampers have a lot to do with this, but something doesnt seem right. i replaced my power steering pump 12 months ago.

sorry for the long post, i just havent messed with steering too much.

thanks rob

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it night be that the box Is too tight and needs to be adjusted,Or could your power steering pump belt be lose...mike

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Mine does this when the fluid is low.

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

the steering wheel turns but the tires dont. similiar to when wheeling when the tires are up against rocks or wheen the suspension is flexed and even though the steering wheel is all the way to lock, the tires are just a little turned from 'straight.

serpentine belt--tight
    fluid level good
    i adjusted the box last summer and had it pretty good, but i may try to mess with it again.
    thanks rob

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Just as a note You might want to flush the steering fluid and refill sounds like no fuild(clog in line maybe??? cheaper than a box)and then test if not then I would say new box time.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

How old is your truck? Chances are its bad. Every Chevy truck thats as old as a K5 that I've seen has a bad one/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif