Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Signs of a bad throwout bearing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Apr 6, 2004.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Jeep started to act up last night on the way to work. I was driving down the road and it just started making a ticking sound. I was in 5th so I thought it might be a sign of 5th going out which the AX5 is prone to. Well I downshifted into 4th and the noise went away or at least I could not hear it. Well I cruised up 15 in forth got off at my exit and pulling up to the light I could hear it again. Pulled out and it was kinda loud in all gears but 4th. Made it to work and checked reverse and it did it. Had a friend follow me home and everytime I stopped it would get louder and louder almost to a knocking sound now. If I push the clutch in it quiets down but it is still there, also pulling out it clunks and makes a ton of noise. The clutch seems fine. It does it in all gears but 4th is not as loud and pushing the clutch in does affect it and it quiets down. Could this be a throwout bearing or what else should I look for?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think you've probably got something wrong inside that transmission. If it was the throwout bearing, it'd probably get loud when you stepped on the clutch.

When you step on the clutch, the insides of the transmission will stop turning if you're not moving. That's probably why you're not hearing any noise.

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i think you nailed it the bearing and this is why i think that [ QUOTE ]
    I push the clutch in it quiets down but it is still there, also pulling out it clunks and makes a ton of noise.

[/ QUOTE ] but what is the miles on the trany and cluch

ther is allways option 2 the 350CC and th400 D300 swap that will bring that jeep to life /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i think you nailed it the bearing and this is why i think that [ QUOTE ]
    I push the clutch in it quiets down but it is still there, also pulling out it clunks and makes a ton of noise.

[/ QUOTE ] but what is the miles on the trany and cluch

ther is allways option 2 the 350CC and th400 D300 swap that will bring that jeep to life /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Clutch miles are under 12000. Just replaced a little over a year ago. Trans milage is unknown. Before I swap a V8 in it I will just buy some tube and start bending up my own buggy. All the Jeep is going to get is a rebuilt 4 banger/trans, D44 rear and possible front, and a mild lift and 33's. I figure it will make a good all around vehicle. The K5 is going to be the dedicated trail rig and Donna already knows it will eventually lose to the /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I had this happen on a little truck 5spd -- it was the tranny. 4th gear was the only gear without any reduction or overdrive and didn't make any noise.

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had this happen on a little truck 5spd -- it was the tranny. 4th gear was the only gear without any reduction or overdrive and didn't make any noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I'm hearing it might be a main shaft bearing shot to hell. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I'm looking for rebuild kits now. I talked to a friend of mine and he said we should be able to handle the rebuild of it. I do have a spare trans if all else fails but I don't know the condition of it. I got it for dirt and was planning to rebuild it anyhow. Looks like I will leave it be just in case I need to slap it in to try and use it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Be sure to check prices at Transmission Exchange Company when looking for a rebuild kit. They are a great company based out of Portland, OR and have good prices and excellent service (I have used them many times). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif