Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Signs of TV cable needing adjustment?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazinaire, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

First off, I have a '87 K5 with 700R4 that was replaced (by dealer) with a factory rebuilt about 60K ago /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . When I go from park into overdrive (or any forward gear, not reverse) the truck will jump forward hard /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . It will hold first gear untill maybe 30 (?) mph and then shift hard into second (pulled front end off the ground when it shifted as I went over a dip /forums/images/icons/cool.gif ). It will hold second untill roughly 55 mph and then shift to 3rd, and it hasn't yet shifted to fourth /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . If I mash the gas through the gears, it will shift smoothly into second and third. Also when the shift lever is in "3" and I am slowing to a stop it will downshift fairly hard into first, but this does not happen when the lever is in overdrive. The fluid level was fine and the color is good too /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif . Any advice on what to check or adjust? Doesn't it figure, my warranty just expired last month /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif !

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    MAN!That TV cable is WAY out of adjustment!
    1st to 2nd gear change should be between 15-20 MPH
    2nd to 3rd between 25-30MPH.
    3rd to4th between 40-45MPH.

Push the adjuster tab in and push the slider(black plastic thing at the front of the TV adjusting thingy)back toward the firewall.Then get in the truck and press the gas pedal to the floor(WOT-wide open throttle,engine off of course).This sets the TV adjustment in the ballpark.Take it for a spin and note at what speeds the tranny's changing at.If the gear changes become "stacked" (shifting very quickly between grears)Adjust TV toward the firewll a couple "CLICKS" and recheck how it shifts.

Adjusting the TV cable towards the firewall will make the shifts more spread out while adjusting the TV toward the front of the truck will decrease the time between shifts.

Proper TV ajustment is critical to the longevity of your 700.Not only does it change shift characteristics(spelling)but it controlls line pressures in the tranny.

I got my info. from the install. instructions I got with my 700R4 from TCI.

Good luck.

Did you get your idle problems figured out?Did you pass your emissions test?

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    when the shift lever is in "3" and I am slowing to a stop it will downshift fairly hard into first, but this does not happen when the lever is in overdrive.

[/ QUOTE ]

That part is fairly normal. It happened to a lot of 700's in the mid-80's. I have heard that there is a fix for it, but I have not figured it out yet. The following is the part that worries me:
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    When I go from park into overdrive (or any forward gear, not reverse) the truck will jump forward hard

[/ QUOTE ]
    Assuming that your idle speed is set reasonably, this sounds like a messed up torque converter. An 87 even has the auxiliary valve body, which is supposed to make forward engagement easier. I think that was Chevy's "solution" to their always loose rear ends. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Otherwise, the hard shifting and high rpm shift points both point to a TV cable that is adjusted too tight.