Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Silicone on carb base?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Aug 14, 2000.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever used silicone on a carb base? I've heard its a no no. I thought of using 3M window adhesive(gorilla snot). My carb is a little pitted on the bottom and its contributing to my vacuum leaks. I was hoping I could seal it up a little tighter. Please lemme know what you think.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

they sell a special rtv sealant for parts with gas near them anything else will dissolve its only 3 bucks ,remember that regular rtv can be cleaned off with gas so watch what you use

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I would say no. If it is pitted that bad try to find another one used and use the base off of that,assume you have a q-jet. Have seen these at swap mmets for around 20-30 dollars. Not sure if they all interchange though.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Had a buddy suggest a thin film of grease, said it would fill in the pits and the rest would wipe away or get blown out the exhaust. I think he's about 100 years old and been around the block a few times so I don't think he'd steer me wrong on this. I'll let you know, thanks for the feedback.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You can fill in the surface with JB Weld, before it sets up wipe the extra with a puddie knife. Then use a ulta flat b
    lock and sand paper to make level.
    Good luck