Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

silicone vs copper gaskets

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DwarF, Apr 7, 2003.

1. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I had to pull my header off to make some adjustments, and now the original gasket will not seal as you would expect. In looking at alternatives, there seemed to be two far extreems to the spectrum, on one end there was the silcon that is spec'ed to 1200 deg F for 3 bucks a tube, and on the other, there was the copper gaskets that are over 60 bucks a set.

Why would anyone pay 60 for a gasket?

Is there any disadvantage to the silicon vs the standard paper/asbestos gaskets?

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

silicone does not work for exhaust

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I've had really good luck with soaking the plain old cheap stock manifold gaskets in warm water for a few hours and then bolting them on and letting them dry completely before running the engine.

The first time I tried it I just went back to retorque after a few heat cycles and they never leaked.

Now, I'll only use the plain stock gaskets because:

<ul type="square"> [*]They work great. [*]I'm a cheap a$$ and I hate spending money. [/list]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I would have normally agreed that silicon doesn't work for exhaust, but this stuff says it is specifically made for exhaust applications. I've seen the black and blue silicons for diffs, etc. But this stuff is red. Have you used this stuff and it didn't work for you on exhaust?

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I use red silicon (RTV) on a lot of stuff but not on exaust
    I get a awsome set of victor rens header gaskets for under 20 bucks

6. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Ultra copper silicone works extremely well on header gaskets. Copper gaskets tend to leak a small amount &amp; are more suited to extreme duty race applications. The white fiber header gaskets are generally scrap as well. Try the High Performance Fel-Pro gaskets.... they are metal reinforced &amp; will hold up well. I always silicone these &amp; have never had one blow out or leak in close to 10 years.