Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Silly 14bff question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clubba68, Oct 3, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Is there another caliper that you can use when doing the 14bff axle swap that will allow you to keep the use of your e-brake (other than the Cadillac ElDo's?) I read that TonyP had e-brake and T-Bird calipers?
    Thanks,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

50 views and no one knows? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I've seen people put the disc brake setup from the late model 14 bolts on them, but don't know the details on how it's done.

Tony has the t-bird calipers, but had to work some special magic on something or another because the calipers don't open as wide as the Caddy ones.

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

tony p used the ford calipers. he had to modify the rotor. i think he shaved a little off it. i dont remember exactly. im pretty sure he has pics of it up or will help you out with some. someone once told me you could get the entire disc brake setup off a bonneville and make that work for a blazer. I forget the year but it was the first few years that had 4 wheel disc brakes. might check that out. im assuming you searched here so check out google tons of stuff there.

hope it helps

69k5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

yep, it was alot of work...next time I would get the caddie ones...but the t-bird ones worked out great...

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't think a lot of vehicles ever used a caliper with a built in parking brake feature. Most vehicles with rear disc brakes use a drum-in-hat setup......basically the rotor has a small drum in the center of it that goes over a small drum brake setup that's used only for parking.

7. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Keep watching Ebay I just got a great deal on my 76 caddy calipers for 60 bucks and they work Im just gonna get them cleaned up REALLY good...

8. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep watching Ebay I just got a great deal on my 76 caddy calipers for 60 bucks and they work Im just gonna get them cleaned up REALLY good...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Buying brake parts off of ebay always scares me because you can't test them or check them out hands on. Is there a way/something to check or have the guy selling them check to see if they are working or not? Do you just have to press your luck? Most ads for brake stuff say like "Pulled from a wrecked car, not sure if they work, sold as is." I would just like to know that they will work before I drop the bucks on them.
    Thanks,

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

On a used caliper, you should plan on rebuilding it anyways even if they say that it is working fine. On a wear item, why put used parts on your truck?

Also, if you can find the levers and springs for the eldo, then you can get already rebuilt calipers at Hi-Lo. It's the lever and return springs that are hard to find.

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hi angle driveline makes a nice one That goes on the rear of the transfercase.....

11. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On a wear item, why put used parts on your truck?

Also, if you can find the levers and springs for the eldo, then you can get already rebuilt calipers at Hi-Lo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why used parts? I was unaware that they were still making new brake calipers for 1976-78 Cadillac ElDorados.

What is Hi-Lo?

Mudjunkie: I don't like High Angel so much since they don't return emails.

Thanks,

12. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Hi-Lo aka Orielly's in some states is an auto parts store. Parts America( www.partsamerica.com ) aka Advance Auto Parts (website named accordingly) has the 76-78 caddy eldo calipers unloaded for about $75 bucks each with a $10 core. This is the best price I have found for them. Napa has them for $70 but with a $70 dollar core. I am on my way out to a junk yard right now to pick up some levers and springs. The guy said he had several out there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif so you may see some up for sale if my friends dont snag them from me first.