Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Silly Horn Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lazydog, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

I replaced my steering column over the weekend. When I installed the steering wheel I can't get the horn button to work right. When I tighten the three screws down as tight as originally the horn stays on. I finally just tightened it down and unplugged the horns. Does anyone know how tight the screws are? Did I get something in wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Did you fit the 3 "prongs" of the clear plastic piece the 3 screws go through, *through* the thin stamped steel piece, or is the steel piece pressed down because the "prongs" weren't lined up right?

3. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

There is a small metal button (about 1/8" dia.) under the metal plate. If memory serves it is about the 11 o'clock position. This button is attached to a spring and held in place by a plastic sleeve. If the spring has been over compressed, bent or if the assembly is missing the horn will not sound as it acts as the ground for the horn. The assembly can be removed (give it a light push and twist) and lightly streeched to correct this problem.

4. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Sorry I forgot one detail: in the normal rest position it does not touch the metal plate. It DOES when the horn pad it pressed!

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Before you start working on it again, stop in at the parts store and buy a new horn relay. Yours has been "on" since you unplugged the horns and tightened the screws. It's not rated for a 100% duty cycle and has probably burned itself up already. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

man, i need to take a break from the computer, i thought your post said still horny question /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif