Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Silly hub question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Mar 21, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

ok, ok, I'm new to this............
    When I shift my 85 K5 into 4Hi, is it in 4 wheel drive even though the hubs aren't locked?

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

No, shifting to 4 Hi engages the transfer case so that the front axle is driven (front drive shaft will turn) but the hubs are not locked so the tires receive no power.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Do you have auto locking hubs? If so yes. (as long as they are working) If not no. You have to get out and lock the hubs.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

When he said "even though the hubs aren't locked" I took that to mean manual hubs. Maybe not...

Hmm, were autos even available on 85s? I'm not sure when they started using them.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I'm in Alaska and have only been here about a year, (From Ireland) experiencing my first winter, I have been driving in 4Hi, (Manual) hubs locked, and now there is a bit of a thaw and the roads are dry. So, I unlocked the hubs (Which alway shuddered when I was turning sharply) but left it in 4Hi, thinking I was still in 4WD nearly had me causing a wreck the first ice I hit......Maybe I'll leave the hubs locked just another week or so hahahaha Thanks again.

6. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

Hey, bking, why don't you just lock your hubs and drive in 2Hi until you need to lock in, then just pull the shift into 4Hi. This is the way I do it and I drive 20 hwy mi each way to work, and I can shift at 40mph no prob. I have Warn Prem hubs, also. Just a note, when you unlock the hubs, the truck should be moved back and forth to make sure the hubs do unlock and not stuck. my .02

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I had autos on my 84

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."