Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

silly question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Dan, Jan 25, 2003.

1. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

ok ive got a 208 transfer case.problem is i have to fill it with tranny fluid to often.it's leaking from rear output shaft /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifdo i just take driveshaft off andpry out the old seal.i know i know what a moron. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

that's not a stupid question at all, i don't know the answer, i'd like to know as well.

3. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

correct..................on both accounts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifI think /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah mine does the same thing and its not the seal. Id like to know what the problem is, my boss said its some bushing inside.

6. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

have you replaced the seal? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can go ahead and try and replace the seal. It isn't hard. Remove the driveshaft and pop the seal out. A seal puller is the best and easiest way. I used a BFS (Big freakin screwdriver) to pry mine out. Probably not the best way but it worked. Unfortunately this probably won't solve the leak problem. It didn't solve mine. I forgot what they say it is but I have just gotten used to the leak and I fill it when I remember too.

Harley

8. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

thanks i happen to have a BFS guess i'll put it to work or vice versa /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Most times it's the seal but if the new seal doesn't fix it, you need to change the bronze bushing as well. Or chek you yoke for a grove, if there is a grove you need to either change it or resleeve it.

10. daleearnhardt01

What does replacing the bushing entail. My boss says he doesnt want to get into it and wants me to take it to his friends tranny shop. Im thinkin he just doesnt want to help me with that job. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Assuming you have the 208, you have to take the tailhousing off and push the bushing out and then press the new one in, and put back together.

12. daleearnhardt01

Actually I have the 241 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok unbolt the 4 bolts holding on the tail housing and inside you will see the bushing. Your going to want to have something that can push out the old bushing without tearing up the mounting surface. When you get the old one out just press the new one in nice and evenly. Replace the tailhousing and use RTV on the mating surface between the tail housing and T/C. Make sure everything is back together and ready to go and slide the shaft in and make sure it isnt scored at all. Mine was scored pretty bad and I used a angle die grinder and some fine emory cloth to get out most of the marks. Hope that helps ya out some. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. daleearnhardt01

Thanks man, now maybe I can convence my boss to give me a hand. Yeah right

15. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Sounds good on bushing and seal fix.If you ever replace slipyoke look for one out of 205.It uses 1350 series joint. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif