Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Silly things you have done

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by caleb22, Dec 13, 2005.

1. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

First off Happy Holidays...I would say Merry Christmas but that is considered offensive nowadays...but that's a different story.

What are some of the silliest things you have seen done or that you have done while working on your Blazer.

Did you put a 12" lift kit on in the garage and then wonder how to get the Blazer back out?

Did you forget to put the lug nuts on once?

Cmon, fess up :)

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Merry Christmas!

I fell out of my lifted Jimmy and twisted my ankle.:o

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Merry Christmas !

I think everyones done something silly , its human .

The worst ones I've done is working all day and night on something , getting tired , and assembling something only to have to take it back out and put in the piece I forgot :doah:

4. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Well last dec i had a bad vaccum leak on my engine... found out that the back of the intake was leaking. So i started to tear my engine down and as-soon as the carb came off it started to snow:o So here i am sitting in my engine bay snow blowing in and my hands are about to fall off and im in a rush. I get the intake off and ready to put back on.

I take the intake off... get everything put back on and throw the distributor in, i get it bolted down tight and go to hook up the wires... sweeeeet i bolted the wires under the intake:haha: So i had to take everything back off and redo it all again in the snow. It had to be done too because the blazer is my winter driver lol :P And then to top it off i had the dizzy off 180 after i got it all installed :crazy:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

at least twice...

Motor swaps usualy are when I do stupid mistakes..like putting the flex plate on backwards,and not discovering I did until I go to put the torque converter bolts in..take the bell housing bolts off AGAIN...aarrrggghhhh!..only took an hour to line it up alone anyway..:mad:

A similar incindent--put a motor in once,a 350 from a truck with a SM465,into a truck with a TH350..got it all bolted up..torque converter wont go in...WTF now???...oh BALLS!!..left the F'n Pilot bushing in the crank!:doah: ...:angry1: ...take it OUT again!..spend 2 hours trying to get the bushing out..AARRgghhh!!

One day I helped my friend put new heads on a 307 olds motor in a chevy station wagon..what a PITA that was!..took all day,it had 1000 hoses and wires all over the place...as he was just about done,I heard a loud cuss--the "F" word..that meant it was a BIG problem,since he usually is quiet and doesn't curse much..

Seems one of the nylon vacuum "hoses" that went to the heater control valve was pinched between the head,and the block,way in the rear of the motor where it was very hard to see..he had already broken one head bolt off in the block earlier,and spent all afternoon welding nuts and bolts to it so we could get the broken remains out..had to pull the head to do it of course..now the gasket has been compressed once already!..and the "new" bolt we put in decided to strip out rather than tighten good..:doah:

He was so pissed off at it by this point,he just clipped the nylon hose off with wire cutters,and said "F" it!..we prayed as hard as we could after we started it up--no smoke,and no leaks!:laugh: ...off it drove into the wild blue yonder..we prayed it lasted more than 50 miles..

It came back 2 weeks later..owner said it was not throwing good heat on his last trip to Boston,and thought he smelled anti-freeze!...Oh-Oh!...but we put a new thermostat and gasket in it,and noticed the upper hose was cut by the hose clamp..we added 2 cans of "Aluma-Seal" stuff to the radiator just for good measure...the car ran for another 2 years before someone T boned it at an intersection..we looked at each other,and laughed when the guy asked how much the "just rebuilt" engine was worth!....:rolleyes: :haha: ...

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

It wasn't a Chevy, but we did a transmission swap in my old XJ trail rig. It took us 3 months to complete the swap (seriously, that's probably an understatement) because we couldn't get the bellhousing flush with the block. We had a b!tch of a time getting everything lined up correctly and when we did, the torque converter and flexplate were already meeting correctly, but there was still an inch gap between the bellhousing and engine block.

After 3 months of messing with it, I realized the torque converter wasn't fully engaged onto the input shaft. We had the tranny bolted back in and all the hoses/linkages connected within 4 hours after that.

Then we realized we forgot to fill the torque converter with ATF. :doah:

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was putting a Lock-Right in the rear axle of my Samurai. I had to pull the shafts, drop the 3rd member out, remove the carrier, disassemble the carrier, then install the locker. I realized, after I had put it all back together and test driven it, that I left two shims out. That would explain why the locker was engaging and popping on my test run, so I had to come back and do it all over again. Even after I put those items in, it still didn't work right. So I took it apart AGAIN, and attempted to just weld it all up. Using scrap pieces of 1/4" metal, I turned the spider gears into one solid chunk of metal. However, all the heat from the welding had warped the casing, so it wouldn't bolt together properly. I had to go buy another 3rd member and weld the gears "properly" to get it to work. Unfortunately, when I reinstalled the carrier in the 3rd, I didn't set the backlash properly and it grenaded itself 6 months later...

8. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Pulled an intake to replace a broken lifter and pushrod and while scraping gaskets off the heads,I had stuffed paper towels into the intake ports and lifter valley to catch all of the gasket material,,,while I had my back turned one of my "friends" that was helping, blew all of the junk out of the engine with an air hose.

Yep,,he wasn't watching what he was doing and didn't know he blew several pieces of the towels down into the motor,,

when we fired it up about 20 min later all of the oil pressure went Bye Bye
    as the pieces of paper towels found their way onto the oil pick up screen,,

Had to pull the pan at 2:30 in the am cause I had to go to work at 6am.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Merry Christmas.:xmas:

I got very tired (and maybe a bit too buzzed) at the end of the lift install - put the rear shocks up front and couldn't figure out why the "rear" shocks were too short.:rolleyes: :doah:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

man, i worked on my Blazer all day and all night one time, only to realize... I dont have a Blazer, and i never have.

11. gauder

gauder Banned

Changed a clutch on my buddy's Toyota Celica to save him $$$$. Damn, they build them cars so that only people with little tiny hands can work on them.

12. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

stayed with my ex for 9 years.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

As of late(I do **** like this a lot), I cut a hole in the floor for my new crossmember(it is rather tall). When I placed it(after measuring quite a few times). I installed the engine and measured off the back of it and realized the new crossmember was exactly where my 205 wanted to be :doah: Had to cut a bigger hole and slide it back about 6". So now my S10 has a huge hole in the floor...

14. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Last week I put my carbon and hooked up all the vacuum lines, fuel lines, throttle linkage, etc. Luckily before starting it up, I realized I forgot to take the paper towels out of the intake... :doah:

15. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Don't weld at the end of a night of bbq and beer. Fortunately, it was only a shock mount.

Oops. Merry, Merry, Merry Christmas!

16. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

tell me you didnt pull it back out to fill the tq:confused: :confused:

17. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Oh Lord Zen... :confused:

18. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  19. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I put the oil pickup upside down on a flathead Plymouth 6 popper. It would not build oil pressure for sh1t. Pulled it back out of the car and pulled the pan DOAH!!!!!!!

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Drank a case of beer one hot summer day and the tried to do a head swap on My Blazer. Next day I was going to My parents house made it about a 100 miles when the top radiator hose blew to bits. Called My Dad to come help and We found that the distributor was 180 out. How the hell it ran enough to make it that far was beyond Me:crazy: The things You do when Your 21. Fock I just realized I have had the damn thing for 17 years:yikes: