Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Silverstar headlights keep burning out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Mar 4, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Anyone else have experience with these Sylvania Silverstar headlights? They seem to only last about 8-10k miles. I first bought last spring 2 of them for my '86 C10. Great lights, noticably brighter. But in late summer, left burnt out, replaced it, shortly after, right burnt out. Now, my left just burnt out again.
    At $18/piece, I think I'm going to get the Hella route, the clear lens with the replacable bulbs.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Never had any issues with mine. My Sylvania Silverstar's have been on my burb for about 3 1/2 years now

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

That's what I just did, with a relay kit that uses the OEM headlight and dimmer switches to just pick the relays and keep the high current 12V on the engine side of the firewall, straight from the junction block to the lights (via relay).

I just wanted to get rid of the sealed beams, brighten things up, and get better/tighter beam control of euro-spec reflectors & lenses - and the inexpensive replacement bulbs didn't hurt my feelings.

I was going to just put 4 silverstar sealed beams in, because I have a pair of SS H4 bulbs in another car and like them a lot, but the voltage I was getting at the K5 headlight plugs was abysmal (hence the dim yellow headlights, even though they were OEM halogen SBs). A new headlight switch helped somewhat, but I was still dissatisfied.

So the relay kit got put in, which helped a lot (by getting the headlight plug voltage up where it should have been), and while the relay harness kit was sitting on the shelf I went ahead and ordered the 4-lamp Hella kit and those went in at the same time, and in stupid reality show terminology, "that took it to the next level". Now when I hit the lights, it's like a new truck, not a 21 year-old beater, and it makes night driving much more enjoyable.

About 200 bucks for the parts, enough to buy 10 silverstar sealed beams, but in the long term (I'll never sell the K5), it's a winner of a deal, and the beam control is so much better than sealed beams (and thus they are also friendlier to oncoming traffic).

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Yeah, adding relays in there really helped too, I did that about 3 years ago. Works great. Just those damn Silverstars keep burning up!

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Is it possible that you're getting "overvoltage" spikes to the lights? You've probably seen this already, but the "Bulb Life" section of this page addresses a few things that can shorten bulb life.