Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

simple brake question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by One_Ton_k5, Mar 26, 2003.

1. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

I got a red brake light in my 89 k5 almost all the time now and I have been using a small amount of brake fluid at a steady pace.

I visually checked my brakes at the wheels and all seems well there but there is leakage from the master cylinder where the two bolts bolt on to the big round thing. (technical talk) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I figure I need a new master but I just thought i'd ask in case there is something else I could do. (like a new gasket?)

Thanks

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Sunds like you are loosing the rear seal in the master cylinder. I am not sure if you can buy rebuild kits or not. But your cylinder is definetly going.

3. sunshineoffroad

sunshineoffroad Registered Member

Master Cyl's are cheap. i would just go for a new one. Two things you don't wanna skimp on are steering and brakes... Just my $.02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

big round thing is the booster and if its leaking there then you need new master cylinder

5. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

Yea thats what I figured. Thanks guys.

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I maybe wrong about this, but I think that red light is connected to 2 things, the parking brake and the dividing network. If the dividing network had shut off the front or rear brake system due to a problem in either system, you'd feel it, plus see a pretty bad leak somewhere.

Or, maybe the parking brake switch isn't contacting anymore. Check that switch under the dash and make sure it is being depressed when the parking brake pedel is release (up).

Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace that leaky master cylinder /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric M.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

If the master cylinder is leaking, time for a new one. With respect to the red light, try this. Carefully unplug the black box next to the master cylinder. Turn you ignition sw to on, do not start, and leave it on for 15 to 20 sec, turn the ignition off,reconnect and see if that clears the red light.