Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Simple little motion alarm which turns out to be pretty cool...!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Jul 21, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

When I first saw this I thought it was sort of cheesy because it looked really cheap. Two pieces of plastic. But I bought one to test it out to see if it was worth anything... it sure is! It's an alarm. Granted not a $300 state of the art set up, but I say it works well... it comes with 2 parts. One goes in your rig where ever you want it...I put mine on the inside door panel so if the door is opened then it'll go off (it detects motion)... the second part goes with you. When the alarm goes off out there it goes off on this unit to alert you. So if someone decides when you are out to open your door looking for your stereo it will go off.... only bad thing is the range is 400'. So say if you go somewhere and are walking around like a mall and get further then that away you won't know when it is going off. But for at home in the driveway, at work or anyplace you can use it it's a cool deal.... just thought I would mention this little item since someone did open my door last night and it went off and worked! [​IMG] I opened my garage door and whoever it was ran away fast as hail... I never would have heard them otherwise since if I am in my room asleep my alarm is very hard to hear and my neighbors ignore it anyhow... but it was $40 bucks and I got it at the Home Depot.... something to consider is all...! [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

And what is the name of this wonderful product? And can I find it at Lowes or Menards?
    Thankies

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm usually never that far away from my truck anyway.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

dam, ive been w/ home depot for over 7yrs now and i did'nt even know we sold those, (well we dont in my market) what store did you buy it from? ill have them x-fer me some so i can try them out for my customers he he. oh and you up there, dont even mention BLOWE'S or menards, they suck!

5. ChevyCaGal

Well, I messed up big time. I bought it at Home Base... not Home Depot. I noticed that right now when I was looking up the sku number for you.....Home Base has bit it and now out of business though. But I saw them on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.heartlandamerica.com>www.heartlandamerica.com</a>. They are about the same thing... called Home Vigilance.... item number S8-99881 and is $29.99 with free shipping... It's not fool proof I am sure... but I like the idea of something going off like that so I might have a half way chance to nail someone in the act (like last night!)... after all not like the cops are exactly putting the fear into the hearts of these folks... maybe me chasing a car theif down the road with a heavy bat screaming "You're gonna bleed!" will.... [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

what powers the unit in the cab??

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

7. ChevyCaGal

Just some AA batteries... it's nothing grand. But the deal I simply like is the fact if I am dead asleep in the back of my house and someone opens the door it'll set it off. It'll make the little unit inside go off and wake you up. Granted any theif can stomp on it and break it. But it doesn't stop it from going off for a bit to let you know... sometimes the cheapest simple little things like this work well and give you a little heads up if someone is messing with your truck is all.... my $200 alarm didn't go off at all, they reached under the fender and cut it... I need to put the wire in a better spot... but this like plastic gizmo woke me up and allowed me to open my garage door and scare them and have them run off... anyhow just thought I would pass this along in case someone was interested seeing how people are getting hit like crazy with theft and anything to remotely help cut it down is worth it.....

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need something to stop people from playing with my tires. Just came out this morning and my tires were aired down for very extreme rock crawling. Thank God I had that portable air compressor!! And the little shi!s took the valve stem caps too!!! GRR!!!

And this wireless thingy..how do you turn it off before you get in your rig?
    SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This thing sounds pretty cool! Too bad I'm usually 40 miles away from my truck every day at work (train commuter...).

Does it hardwire into the truck's alarm system or is it completely standalone? Or just the siren? Or does it have it's own siren? How loud is the unit you carry? Can you remotely disable it? How big is the unit you carry?

Details details details!!!!

Thanks for sharing the cool find, too!

Edit: How big is the transmitting unit? Does it have an antenna? I used to be a broadcast studio engineer, and I'm wondering if I can modify one to have a wider range radius...

Ratch
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com&gt;k5.8m.com&lt;/a&gt;
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 07/24/01 08:56 AM.</FONT></P>

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Yes details!!!!!
    Can we still get them?! We don't have those stores in Texas.
    I wonder how easy it is to build if I have to?

More details!!!!!

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

11. Tuskadero

Tuskadero Registered Member

Why dont you just lock up your truck, or pull it in the garage if you have no topper on it?

Heather

12. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Man, you're still here!

maybe cause it doesn't fit in the garage....mine doesn't.

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Actuallly a pretty cool idea, Steph.

Had a really nice Clifford alarm on my first '79 K5 with an add-on PAGER that alerted you within two miles if your alarm was triggered.............I imagine with the tech out there right now they have longer range ones. DBLAZER would know.......

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>

14. ChevyCaGal

Well first off locking up your truck does no good if they break the window.... and if you get broken into they will break the window... unless you are like me and your battery went dead and set your power locks so they pop up... doh!

I have my topper on, no soft top (I decided to not get one because frankly Hollister dust made me think oh yeah just what I want 2 inches of dust inside on me... no thanks!)... and even if I took it off my truck sits 2 inches above the top of it because of the tires and lift... I could air down my tires and roll it in but like I wanna get up for work at 4am so I am can air up my tires to drive there... so it won't work.....

So neither of those options is gonna work for me... BTW I thought you didn't own a Blazer anymore, you sold yours long ago... right?

15. ChevyCaGal

Ok... it's really simple... it almost looks like plastic junk... when I saw it I was like it's probably crap... but I figure anything that could even slightly give me a bit of notice someone is messing with my baby is a good thing, so what the hey I will try it. The little part that sits in the Blazer is like 3"wide, 4"long and 1 1/2" thick... it takes one 9 volt battery... pretty much when someone opens the door it detects motion... the part in the car doesn't go off itself or flash light... or anything... it sends a signal inside to whever you are to the other device which is about the same size. It has a small light that flashes and it sends out a nice little alarm.... alot like an alarm clock sound. Nothing to make you deaf. Afterall it's you hearing not the thief and you yourself want to keep your hearing... this little alarm lets you know your door (or whatever you decide to use it for) has been opened... (it'll even go off if the other door is opened. It detects movement any where in the Blazer. I stuck mine on the door do to it's most likely the thing to be opened)...when you know that the alarm is going off and not them this allows you to grab a BFH, gun, bat, or whatever you decide to scare the ever livin' doodie out of whoever opened the door... I love the fact there is no alarm on this device for the theif to hear. It allows them to climb in and feel like hey I am not gonna get caught and wham you nail them... besides if it went off they simply smash it anyhow and run away. This way they might hang around long enough like I said to get them or a great look at them. The system in the car takes 3 AA batteries... again it's not some technical marvel... just a little device which could give you a hand... the range is limited to like 400'. It doesn't wire into any part of your Blazer at all so if they cut your battery this will not be affected. Anyhow heck with theft going around this might help out a lil bit... *shrug* [​IMG]

16. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Sounds cool Steph... The possibilities are endless. Thanks for the info.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

17. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

So it sounds like the alarm would activate anytime you open the door yourself. Is there a way to override the alarm while the truck is in use by you?

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears