Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Simple, maybe Stupid ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Teddie, Jul 12, 2000.

1. Teddie

Teddie Newbie

Ok, I posted yesterday about my new Jimmy, and someone said that I needed to post more info. Its an 84 GMC Jimmy 4x4 2.8l, origianally had a v6. It needs a new motor. A friend said that a motor from any gmc from about the same time will work, and offered a v6 engine from an 84 Chevy s10. The only difference is the engine being offered was not from a 4wheel drive truck. Does that matter or does the new engine have to be from a 4x4 jimmy?

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Nope...It don't matter if it's out of a 4x4 or 2x4.

89 K5 Silverado

3. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

You said the engine was a 2.8liter. Is the truck an S-10 blazer? My brother has an 84 S-10 blazer with a 2.8Liter. Some came with a 2.8 and some with a 4.3. Doesn't sound like a K5??!!

Chevy's RULE!

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

For S10's, the 4.3L didn't come out till 88' I think. The 2.8L is a pretty weak motor to tell you the truth. I wouldn't think it has the umph to get a K5 moving that well.
    Boss

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I think the only way to solve your problem is to sell that truck and get a fullsize. Lots more fun.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

Agreed. A K5 definitely has more room and you can buy parts for a 350 almost anywhere. My brother uses his S-10 to pull a utility trailer a couple times a week and the motor sounds like it's going to blow any second. 2.8 is definitely not a wise choice.

Chevy's RULE!

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

2.8l in a K5...hmmmm...
    0-60 yes...(Downhill)

89 K5 Silverado

8. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

2.8 and 4.3 are from the S10 Blazers. To go from the 2.8 to the 4.3 isn't that easy because they have different bellhousing bolt patterns. The 4.3 is the same as a SB Chevy. In fact its a 350 with two cylinders missing. All internals are the same as the 350 Chevy. 2.8 is different so its not a easy swap. The 4.3 didn't come out until 88 like previously mentioned. Any 2.8 even out of a Camaro or Firebird will work. Even the slightly newer 3.1 is a bolt in seeing how its just a 2.8 bored out. Just don't get one out of a front wheel drive car as those are different. I believe the front wheel drive cars use different heads so its not a bolt in swap

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

9. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    I am assuming you are talking about an S series Jimmy (S15). Yes, the Chevy 2x4 2.8, is the same as your GMC 4x4 2.8. But from what I have heard a 3.4 V6 that came in numerous 90's Camaro's and other Chevy's, is a direct bolt in, and has much more horsepower than the 2.8, you may be better off to find one of those for your swap.
    Go to this site and ask your question http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=offroadchevysmall

10. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Not many things are a direct bolt in. These motors will bolt up to most trannys 700's, 350's etc. The 3.1L used in front wheel drives is a 2.8 block with a little longer stroke, distributorless ignition and different heads. There are install kits where you can throw in a 350, 305, or 400. if that suits your fancy. The 3.4 may work but not as common. The V8 kits have custom headers b/c there isn't much room under the hood of a S-10. But where there's a will there is a way. I'd go with the 4.3 b/c they came in s-10's have good torque, readily available at salvage yards and probably easy emission wise too.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

11. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

The 4.3 aint all it's cracked up to be. I had one in my $10 and that thing gave me problems from day one. low oil presure, awful oil leaks that even with new seals wouldn't seal, it ate head gaskets for lunch, constantly fouled spark plugs. After I had it rebuilt it was better for almost 9 months then it went back to normalcruddy operations so I unloaded it on some unsespecting idiot for a grand.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>