Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Simple Question......maybe? Are all 32-splines the same diameter???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Here's a question I've been thinking about tonight.....

Is it always true that 32-spline parts always have the same diameter? I'm thinking about transmission input/output shafts here. Is knowing that an output is 32 spline enough to guarantee that it will mate with a 32-spline input gear....??? This may include non-GM parts....BTW.

What about some of the others.....like 27-spline stuff?? Is it always a match?

(ps. - I'm not concerned for the moment about "stickout" lengths at the moment....just whether the splines are always the same shapes and overall diameters)

:thinking:

:D This may have something to do with a T56 transmission and an Atlas 4 transfercase..... :D .............maybe.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

As for np205/208/241 cases and th400 trannies , all the 32 spline slip yoke stuff is the same on the rear . I would same would hold true on the other items with various spline .

Spicer ( Dana axles ) and GM both have 30 spline axles , that will not interchange from what I was told .

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

All splined stuff doesn't have to have the same diameter.

...and AFAIK, GM and Dana 30 spline pieces won't interchange because the angle the splines are made at is different.

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Greg,

I just saw this....

For the biggest part, the answer to your ? is - Yes. But Mikey is right, splines can come in many different sizes and pitches. But I have yet to see it really happen in most American auto applications.

Marv

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I know the common 32 spline transfer case outputs fits exactly into a GM 32 spline transfer case input gear. :)