Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SImple wiring questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jrgunn5150, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have an 87 V10 Pickup, and the wiring is a mess. It's been converted to a carb, cut and spliced to hell and back, and I'm a wiring idiot. The problem is it has the factory electric pumps in the tanks, with a regulator for the carb. I also put a one wire alternator on it. So I now have no place to hook my choke up to. I tried to run it to the fuel pump, but that caused it to open and close erractically, and the fuel pumps to run intermittently as well. But it's the only switched 12v source I could find on the fuse block.

So what if I hooked up 2 relay's, one for the choke and one for the pumps. Would the relays make it draw less current through the block, and run both the way they should run again?

I have a new harness for it BTW, but it's gotta wait until spring cuz it's my winter driver.

2. Jrgunn5150

No one has any idea if a couple relay's can be run off one fused block to reduce the draw through that fuse?

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It may sound crazy, but there is a wire you can tap into on the wiper pump for an electric choke. I do believe it is the white wire on the bottom most connector that is a switched 12V source...

Otherwise, you can patch into the fused ignition post on the fuse block on the inside of the truck with a typical female spade connector. Whichever way you do it, you need to make sure it is fused, I've seen a couple trucks go up in smoke when a choke wire burnt up...

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can use 2 relays.

5. Jrgunn5150

Thanks guy's, like I said, I'm electrically retarded.