Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

simplifying my engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the fall guy, Jul 26, 2004.

1. the fall guy

the fall guy Registered Member

My 85 305 K5 has a web of vacuum lines under the hood...just wondering if any one changed their carb and removed most of the vacuum lines and how hard it was.
    Nick /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have an 83 . Without knowing where you are from , I couldn't say what you need to keep . In AZ where I am from , I deleted all the ported vacuum switches and efe on the pass pipe . I only run pcv valve , vacuum line and vapor line to a 78 charcoal cannister , egr straight to carb , spark straight to carb , and vacuum line to a.i.r diverter valve . With it all cleaned up it still looks a little full with the smog pump system on the manifolds and their hoses . But what can one do , I need to pass , and DO /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Depending on your emissions standards in your state it could be a very easy job. If you do not have to worry about all that emissions crap YANK it Just keep the stuff hooked from your carb to your distrib. If you see a canister on the right side of the engine down next to the radiator with a bunch of lines running from it that is your vapor canister(I think thats what its called) it can definatly go and that will help with all the hoses. Im sure other members will have better details than this but I hope this helps...

4. the fall guy

the fall guy Registered Member

I don't have to worry about emmisions and all that fun stuff /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif but geeting rid of all those hoses will sure make my truck alot easier to work on.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you remove it all , expect to readjust everything . It will run different without the egr and smog pump running . I would leave the vapor can , it allows gas vapor back to the tank , helps recover a little bit of the precious gas money /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif