Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Since I'm single once again...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thatK30guy, Jan 17, 2006.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

...and have more free time on my hands, I've been keeping myself busy by biking to the school weightroom to workout and then run on the track. Once done, I pedal back home and feel great after all that work.

My question is to the guys who have taken pills and supplements. What is the best fat burning pills on the market? I'm going to GNC to get something but don't know what to get. Tell me what you guys recommend so I can trim down quicker. I'm not obese or anything. Just a small love handle and want to get rid of it.

What kind of supplements do you guys recommend for keeping the muscle that I build after working out? Seems like right after I'm done, I look and feel much bigger but later in the evening or the next day, I'm not "big" anymore. I want something I can take to keep the size and get bigger.

Strength is also another factor. While I have plenty of it, it never hurts to have more. With my pent up anger right now (I'm going thru a divorce), I can use even more rage/anger. But no, not to kick ass but just to "have it" just in case. :wink1:

I want something to lose the handles and gain the muscle. I want something that not a health risk and does not have or has very minimal side effects.

Please advise and also, please don't direct me to other websites. I've browsed a few and it takes too long to look for the answers. I want my answers from you guys who have experienced the stuff personally and what works.

2. thatK30guy

Oh, for more info, I've been watching my diet very closely now. Cut way back on the beer drinking and junk food stuff. My diets mainly consist of salads and a few meat items, no man-made stuff at all. And lots and lots of water.
    When I first started, I weighed in the 230-235 lbs. range and so far has been a 3 week weight loss down to 214 lbs. now.
    I'm on a mission to trim down to approximately 190 lbs. and bulked up, too.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Forget fat burning pills or other "magic" supplements. Buy yourself a good quality whey protein supplement and start eating 5 smaller protein-based meals a day. Limit your simple sugar and starch intake. Make sure any carbs you eat are complex carbs. Stay away from booze.

Keep working out and follow the above advice and you'll lose as much fat as you want in no time at all. I used this program and lost 35 pounds in under 6 months. Corey78K5 has similar results.

4. thatK30guy

What about the muscle gains? How can I keep what I pump when I'm working out? I know it takes time to keep working out to get the gains, but isn't there anything I can take now to "keep" the size?

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Lean protein is all you need, brother. IMHO, other than whey protein, most of the "weight gain" supplements aren't necessary- nothing replaces real food. Once you lose your chub you'll have to experiment with your daily calorie intake to see how much your need to keep gaining muscle without gaining fat.

6. thatK30guy

I have been stocking up quite a bit of protein types of food such as chicken and fish. Peanut butter is also seen in the cabinets, too.

What is some good name brand powders you can recommend?

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Hard work...

Wow... Only three weeks to go from 230 to 214 ? Thats good. Keep doing what your doing now. The only thing that will keep that pumped up size is time in the gym. There are no real short cuts. Hard work in the gym and amino suppliments are what worked the best for me.

8. thatK30guy

Yeah, I thought that much weight loss was impressive, too, but it was lost by not eating correctly. As I quoted above, I'm going thru a divorce and what happened one day started the whole stress/diet thing. So my weight loss was attributed to the stress I'm going thru. Not exactly the safe way to do it I know.
    I am reintroducing proper foods into my diet now. Hence the reason I'm slimming down more, too. I need to get rid of my handles to impress the future ladies.

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When I was lifting I was eating mostly chicken, salad, and cottage cheese. No pills, no shakes, no suppliments.

10. muddog

muddog 1/2 ton status

Optimum Nutrition is a good whey protein shake. Taste good, cheap, and one of the highest protein per serving ratios out there. Keep in mind prtein shakes are not a supplement that are going to give you immediate results. They are for long term deal. I will pm you a list of other supplements you can buy and where to get them...DONT GO TO GNC THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've heard it said that:

"The waistline is created in the kitchen, not the weight room"

That's certainly true. What you eat has more of an effect on the waistline than situps or whatever else.

Cardio is a great help too. I do both freeweights and cardio...I can't lose the pounds with just weights, even though with supersetting my heart rate is pretty high throughout the workout.

I am trying to run on alternating days for at least an hour (about 6 miles for me)...I'm reasonably disciplined with food these days, but I still struggle to find a good balance between meals, and not snacking at night is hard for me.

Using the anger can be a good way to keep the motivation up in the early stages. I acutally have playlists called "Angry Man Music" that I listen too...lots of hateful, angry music and it helps me get a good "pump" and lift heavy stuff!!! :D

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Sorry to hear about the stress, Wes.

Anyway, Canmore has it right on. Small, regular meals, 5 or 6 a day, with about a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight for the day. Bodybuilding.com has the best pricing anywhere I've found for buying the protein supplements. I use MetRx (meal replacement powder - 20 packets good for about 40 shakes for $35 delivered to my house), along with some tasteless whey protein with skim milk (I buy the vanilla powder and flavor it with frozen juice concentrate) for one or two of the 6 meals a day. Easy to mix and delicious. Another option to keep your size is creatine. Some folks are non-responders (get no gains) but it worked for me a few years ago. I'm 6'4, 'natural' weight about 190 and I went up to 208 with lifting, eating and creatine. No longer use creatine. I've since added a fair amount of cardio (running) so my bodyweight is actually now about 190, with bodyfat around 12% at 44 years of age. No longer trying for the size only, just like to feel strong and healthy and be able to do whatever I want whenever I want. Great feeling to be in shape and be able to run 5 miles, squat 270 and hammer strength chest press 310.

Stick with it - gains don't come quick or easy for most guys but the work is worth it. Also, as said above, love handles are a function more of diet than crunches/ab work. That's what is great about the cardio work - it can help you keep lean easier than simply 'watching what you eat'.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Let me just fix that fir ya Frank...;)

14. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Only if their on your hips.