Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

since its obvious....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Nov 9, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my tires suck for what i wheel in....http://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33509&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1162778797

what do you guys recommend me getting? i need something thats going to be good on the road, as a lot of my driving is city/highway with the occasional trail run....where can i get blems, or should i even get them?....33x12.5 by the way.....i`d have to really think about 35s, i think 33s are just fine though

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  2. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

thats a hard balance to achieve... Especially if your into mud. Your either going to have great on road performance or great off road performance. BFG all terrains are good but plug up fast from mud and don't clean out so well. The BFG muds are pretty good but their road characteristics arn't that good. Anything by interco is going to wear out pretty fast from what I have heard. I had a set of the yokohama mud terrains on my old dodge and I really liked how they performed. They weren't too lound and I had tons of tracktion with them. I even drove through a bunch of clay deep enough to drag my u bolts and leave marks in the clay. I didn't get stuck either. Hope this helps a little.

~Brian

3. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree that is a tough decision to make. i have been wheeling in different vehicles for nearlt 20 years. in my opinion, bfg m/t's are an excellent choice. they last fairly long for an m/t, but they are a bit expensive. a good friend of mine use's remington m/t's (made by cooper i think) not nearly as expensive as bfg's and work exceptionally well in everything from mud to sand, yet still have good highway manors. if i had a daily driver/wheeler, they would be my choice.

4. Brodie

Brodie 1/2 ton status

Toyo Open Country M/T. A buddy of mine has them on his TJ and they work pretty well. Really quiet on road and not too bad in the mud. He's had them for over a year and they still look brand new as well.

5. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

The Interco Trxus MT is a very good all-around tire and great in the snow.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

basically what you have to decide is do you want the performance to be strongest off road or better on road. If the tilt is towards off road performance then I would say a Interco tire. I know some people don't like them but I have had Swamper SSRs I really liked them. They had good road manners and good performance in the mud. Other than that you are left with any number of mild mud terrain tires. The new cooper discovery stt is pretty good. I have a couple of freinds running them and for a mud tire it looks like they are going to last a while

7. NEK5

the coopers epensive??

well i`m looking for something that will preform better than my current tires in the mud, and better on the road as well as my current tires....

8. NEK5

how many miles can i expect out of them? because most of my driving is on the pavement except for when it comes time to hit the trails (1-3 times a year?)

9. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The BFG All Terrain is pretty good. I run them 35x12.5 r15

I think they are great for their cost :deal: Plus they do great on the street. I mostly drive my truck on the street and they have hardly worn which is surprising with the way I drive.

One thing to keep in mind is that they run a little small. My tires actually measure out to 33" front and 33.5" rear. I think rim width is the factor there because my tires are on 10" wide rims.

If not BFG All Terrains then my next vote would be for Interco Trxus M/T. If I get new tires then I'd get these. I've heard they are the best for DD/mudder and I heard they were surpisingly quiet too. But they are also about 2x the price of a BFG.

10. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

You should consider Goodyear MT/Rs.I run 37s with a detroit and they are showing very little wear which is remarkable cause I drive my truck back and forth to work just about every day.Two years and they are doing fine.Great road manners cause they are radials and not much noise compared to Swampers or Hawgs.Not as good in the mud but excellent in every other type of terrain.Lot of guys use them on the rocks cause they resist cuts very well.
    My .02 worth.

11. Blue90

Blue90 1/2 ton status

WOWie

:haha:I dont know what this guy was smoking when he wrote this but, I can say from personal experiance anything interco will not last worth a **** if you do that much city driving.:eek1:
    I personally run 33-12.50-15 BFG All Terrains and I've taken them in deep muddy clay, knee deep snow, as well as the rocky terrain in Moab. And I still have yet to get stuck or find an obsticle i cannot climb. Also I've worked at Discount tire for three years now and from all the experiance knowlege I've gained there I'm tellin ya BFG A/T's are your best bet all around. :wink1:

12. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

heh... got the same problem... im runnin 33" cooper A/Ts. eventually i think im going to get some bigger IROK radials. but my truck will probably see more than 1-3 times a year off road. a buddy of mine is running the 36" IROK radials and loves tehm. great on the rocks, good in mud, and not bad on the street.

muddin 004.jpg

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Too bad you're not closer. I have a set of almost-new 33" General Grabber MT that have been demoted to trailer tires. :rolleyes:

14. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Buddy of mine had a set of 38" TSL radials on his Dodge, nothing but street miles, only offroad it saw is the yard or a dirt driveway. He towed with it, hauled stuff, USED the truck, not beat on it, and got close 40K with his tires. It's pretty much a show truck, so doesn't drive it in the winter, but drove it all the time in the summer. He is pretty meticulous when it comes to maintaince, so rotated and proper PSI was spot on.

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Bfg 33" mud terrains should work real well... They are a good radial tire will last a good long time, they DO give good street manners and will work much better offroad then what you have now

16. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

On road, a BFG AT will probably work the best. Off road, the BFG MT is good, and the MTR is probably a little better in the mud. If you run heavy mud, but not very often I'd run two sets of tires if possible, some BFG AT's on road and some boggers for mud. Boggers will last a long time if you only put them on when your offroading. AT's are good enough all around to run dryer trails on, last 40K miles plus, and have good road manners and on-road traction, especially when it's wet.

17. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

bfg m/t is what my buddy had on his S10 that brought us the chain

18. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I think the weight makes a big difference. I had a 87 4-runner on 31" Discoverer STT's and it could go just about anywhere. I've run a couple of fullsizes on milder 285's and they got stuck much easier.

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think the Trxus M/T is a better tire than you give it credit:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181821

If you aren't convinced do a search on them, CK5 has a lot of info on tires hidden in old threads.

20. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

What did you think of those STTs? I was looking for my next set of tires and noticed that those had a good looking tread pattern.