Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Since my parents are next to useless... Advice please...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, May 19, 2006.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm not emo, my parents just don't give advice for some reason...

Here's the dealio:
    I work full-time, just enough to pay the debt I've stupidly gotten myself into. That means I'm pretty well stuck at home since I can't afford to move...

Now that I'm going on 22, I figure it's time for another attempt to go for a career (military, law enforcement, and time 1 of going to school fell through) so I can get the crap out of my parents house. They're driving me nuts with their slobish housekeeping skills, an unsanitary kitchen, and complete laziness (you know, it'd be like a death sentence to turn on the vaccuum or put something away when there are perfectly good TV shows on)

Now that you know my living situation, here is what I've decided as of today:
    1. I can continue to live at home for a couple more years while I work on an Associates degree at night, which would hopefully get me something decent while I work on a Bachelors. However, one of the classes I would want to take next semester interferes with another one, and the only other option is to take it online, which I'm not a big fan of.
    2. I can switch to the night shift at work and take day classes, thus eliminating the problem found above.
    3. Keep applying and hoping for a decent paying job in Colorado so I can move the crap away from parents and Wyoming. The problem here, though, is I'd likely be working so much to support myself that it might be hard to start a career or go to school to work on a degree.

I can see immidiate and long-term pros and cons to all three of those scenarios... Either I keep going more and more crazy from living with lazy dirty parents in order to get some education under my belt, or I get out from under the lazy dirty parents but forego the education aspect... I tell myself it's only two years to get an Associates degree, but that doesn't guarantee a well-paying job at the end. It only guarantees a piece of paper and even more debt to worry about...

Oh what to do? I ask mommy and she says, "Just be in the predicament a little longer." I ask daddy and he says, "It's up to you, do whatever you want." Thanks :haha:

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

you want my advice. go right down to the Coast Gaurd recruiter. you cant beat it. if i wasnt a jar head, i would have went to the coast guard.

no matter what anyone says, the military makes you a better, more mature man.

you van get your debt on hold while you are in boot camp, which is here in jersey. then start paying when you get out.

i read your posts all the time. ive been there. do yourself a favor and join the coast gaurd. you can easily get stationed at a nice beach, they have kick ass ships, and lots of babes near the beach.

this will be the best move you ever made.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agree with the above... though I would look into the airforce before the coast guard. Go into supply or some other benign MOS (unless you want to get in "the ****", in that case go Marine 0311!).... or, alternatively, pick an MOS where you learn a real skill (aircraft maintenence?)

While you are in, save every single penny you can. Believe me, you can have good times and still get out with a good amount of cash. I went out and drank beer often enough, and when I got out I had a good running K5, a very nice A/V system, a video game collection that wouldn't quit, a cool PC, various other toys and about $8,000 in cash... and the GI Bill money for college. You just have to be smart with your money. I knew guys that were in 4 years and got out with enough money to buy a ticket home and that was about it. yikes... talk about dumb.

When I was in the grunts, we didn't have any time to take college classes or anything. With some airforce jobs you almost certainly would be able to do that... and the government will pay for them. Take advantage. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders... but if you do have any "issues" the military will straighten you out. :thumb:

j

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Here's another vote for the air force. I got suspended from college and needed a break, so here I am... 2A553B . I don't plan on making the military a career, but it's a nice option to have. And right now the MGIB is paying over $1000 a month for full-time classes. It'll be more than enough to pay for me to finish school at Virginia Tech once I finish up my term.

Military has it's fair share of BS, but there are those instances where I wouldn't be doing anything else. Like squadron parties... hella fun. And don't forget your "dining in", "dining out", and your "combat dining in"

You won't find anything like that in the civillian world.

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Here's my vote for Air Force too... Messed up ankle, sent home from Basic Training... :(

Trust me, if I ever get that injury fixed, I'll be talking to the National Guard again at least...

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Assuming your from a working class family and the Military is out due to injury.

Have you thought about getting into a trade like plumbing, welding, et and then using the money from that to get a higher education? Have you checked into scholarships or grants?

Otherwise can you afford an academy style education? Pilot training, police, et, where you go to a university dedicated to a single purpose?

Do you have reliable friends you can share a rent payment with?

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

You injured your ankle in basic, or was it prior and basic made it worse? Got any disability for it?

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Option #2. Job, school and the advantage of never being awake at home.

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Injured prior, was ok'd to go in, then re-injured pretty bad... It's been almost 2 years and stairs are still a killer... But I'm stubborn and doctors are idiots... Thos two combined kinda means that it's not gotten any better :rolleyes:

No disability, but about 30 days of active duty credit, and 6 months enlisted... Whatever that's good for

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Whatever it takes to get your education as fast as possible. While you are young, get that degree. Once you commit to a career, no matter what kind, education gets put on hold. If you choose a trade like welding, etc., you will most likely spend all your time improving that trade and making ends meet. Education will take a back burner. If you can get a degree now, and you choose a trade to make a living, you will always have that degree. One thing to consider when choosing a career is whether or not that career requires physical labor. You don't see to many 30 yr. roofers. Some trades make decent money but take their toll on the body. At some point you will want to do something less strenous. If you have no skills other than that trade, it can be problematic unless you can get a contractors license, go into management, etc. But lots of guys are going to be competing for that same job when they age along with you. Get your education now whatever it takes.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Got a great example....Diesel Tech. I've seen some guys in the business for a long time that have problems. You have to work smart, not hard. Some guys say the way to go is work on the floor for 15 to 20 years and then get into the office before you are totally torn up....others say that is selling your soul. Well, it's up to you to make that decision.

I'd go to night shift at work and go to school at day. That's what I had to do to get to school. Class 7:30am to 4:30 pm and work at Mc. Donalds from 5pm to 1am. Do homework and start over again. Just make sure you can handle the classes along with work and neither start slacking.

12. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Okay the only option is going to school. But did you ever think about declaring bankruptcy to get out of you situation and then going to school. I know some poeple may say this is just a cop out and it is kind of. I was so against doing it earlier on that is has really messed me up later in life. So even though this may sound like a cop out or a non responsible position heres what I think you should do. Get out of your debt (bankruptcy). Figure out what school you want to go to. Go there. You can get student loans to cover some stuff but don't let it exceed your projected pay level. Get a job at school Be done with school and get a job. All the while remember this saying, "I sacrifice now what others won't so later I can have what others can't.

13. Desert Rat

Anyone declares bankruptcy, and you can pretty much write off any job that does a thorough background check like LE, working for a government entity, a business that requires a clearance, etc.

14. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Agree, the background checks all that because they figure you are an increased threat for thievery because of filing for bankruptcy...not a good option.

15. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wrong Wrong and Wrong. Called a freind he works for the government doing background checks. (of course he only does high level stuff) The bankruptcy combined with some other things (he wouldn't tell me) is what sends up the red flags. This is straight from the horses mouth, a bankruptcy alone cannot disqualify you for any government job, it is illegal for us (my buddy talking) to do that. Also I have several friends who are Law enforcement 3 of which declared bankruptcy before they went into this honorable business. As far as a personal business I don't know.

16. Desert Rat

Right, right and right. Calling one friend does not an expert make. Perhaps some areas have lower standards. Having a distant relative in Idaho that is a deputy barely making a few bucks an hour and who has to work as the local dog catcher, and a handyman, in addition to being a cop I can guess that bankruptcy might not preclude him from continuing to be a cop. However, in sunny Cali, kiss your career goodbye..... And, good luck getting in the FBI with a bankruptcy. They turn down far more qualified people that don't have bankruptcies in their background including those with advanced college degrees. Bankruptcy is the very last stop, and shouldn't even be an option unless you have run out of all others..... If you are in the Silicon Valley, and you want to work for a defense contractor, you will not get a clearance unless you have a rock solid financial background. The risk of you walking with classified information to sell is too great. This also tends to be the case on the east coast for any major financial institution. Bankruptcy is tantamount to making a public statement of "I cannot manage my finances and have thrown in the towel". Not the kind of thing that makes employers want to line up for your resume. Now, if you plan on being in business for yourself longterm, then it may have to be an option at some point, but not if you can help it.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yeah...

Bankruptcy sounds like a good option, until I look at the fact that I really do n't have that bad of a credit score for a guy my age in my situation... The only thing holding me back now is I don't make more money :)

Really, though, I don't think I've gotten into the kind of financial trouble to justify a bankruptcy... I'd rather bust my ass working full time and going to school full time, living at home with my parents until I'm 25 than call it quits. My main concern is that I pay other people darn near what I make in a month for stuff I bought on credit over a year ago.

As of today, I have an application in for the Colorado State Patrol, financial aid at the community college, and of course my day job.

The state patrol job looks like a good thing... I could do something cool and important, be a professional something, earn enough money to pay all my debts in probably just over a year, and be 6 credits away from an A.A.S. in Criminal Justice... I'm not getting my hopes up, but it looks like a good opportunity.

I'll keep the community college as a backup for now...