Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Since spring is here...homemade soft tops/cab curtains

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Apr 25, 2005.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

First of all I searched :deal: and all the links and pics have either been deleted or moved. So let's see some pics of homemade soft tops with what you did, where you got materials, etc etc....and the most important, does it leak?

Thanks

2. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So I got to thinking......

Take a factory hardtop make a cut about 3" or so back from the front edge. Then where the hardtop and the bedsides meet across the back of the cab, take some 1" or wider flat steel and make a lip that runs the length of the bedside, across the floor and back up the other bedside and weld that to the floor. Then make a cab curtain out of tonneau material with a full size window, mount snaps or some way to attach the cab curtain to the little bit of hardtop there is and the lip that was made that runs across the floor and down the bedsides. This way the hardtop seals in the factory location using factory weatherstripping and the top of the cab curtain is protected by the overhang that is left after cutting the hardtop. Use some of that body sealer stuff that is found in pickup beds to go around the inside and outside edge of the lip that is welded to the floor and bedsides. Then gut the rear of the truck, no carpet, panels, etc, line it with something, wateproof seat cover, pickup tailgate or custom made tailgate with spare tire mount and viola!

You can still have an open top with the ability to close yourself off if you hit that unforseen rain shower plus have the added benefits of retaining the a/c and heat options. You could even make it so the rear window in the cab curtain is unzipable so on a cool day you crack the windows and cab curtain window and still close it up quick if need be.

Think of anything that I might have overlooked?

(My intent was to be able to seal the front of the cab off completely with minimal modifications and still keep my creature comforts with the ability to have a "bed" and open top)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  3. RSNHELL

RSNHELL Registered Member

I made a removable rear window for mine. Cut my original top about 4 inches back, filled in thefiberglass where cut and had tap plastics cut me a rear window out of 1/4 inch plexiglass, andinstalled it into the 4 inch fiberglass section with silicone . After that I installed a piece of 5/8 aluminum channel on the lower wall (cab /bed seperator) Wrapped some weatherstripping around the bottom of window and installed the window using factory bolt up for original top.works great,no leaks,and removable any time I want.

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Do you have any pics?

Thanks

5. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Yeah pics would be good!

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If the pictures are still up in the old gallery search my name and there should be some good ones. If not, let me know and I'll try to take some new ones this w/e.

Here is what I have: Bikini top, it mounts to a track in the windsheild & the factory rollbar. Rear cab curtain, mounts to the stock rollbar. Doors, 2 piece; The bottom mounts into some homemade hinges and does a good job of following the body line. The top 1/2 of the door is removable or the window can be unzipped for drive throughs and such.

7. RSNHELL

RSNHELL Registered Member

sorry guys, I don't have a digital camera.

8. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

Dang!

9. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I tried searching for your pics but found nothing. Can you take some and post them up when you get a chance?

Thanks

10. bigjbear

I figgured as much, I never moved anything during the last change over. I'll pull the door tops and cab curtain back out of storage and snap a few pics.

11. bigjbear

OK, I took some new pics (BTW, the Nikon D70 is an awesome digi cam. wifey just got one). The 1st one is the door bottoms only, 2nd is door top & bottom, 3rd is the bikini top, 4th is the cab curtain, 5th is the cab curtain from the back. Sorry but all the "glass" is dirty an I just shoved the cab curtain in place, its a PITA to get centered & put in right. It fits much better than it looks. I was going to take some of the attachments (that's why the bikini is sagging) but it started to rain before I got it all unhooked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If a nonmember wants to host them let me know & I e-mail them so everyone else can look.

12. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

somebody say redneck?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So do you have any pics of the insides of the doors, how do they attach/latch, etc. The doors look real good. Also, did you have them made or make themn yourself. what kinda fabric, waterproof, yadda yadda.

Thanks