Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Since there are already rear disc conversions...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Jan 24, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

...using the 3/4 ton stuff, what about using 1 ton rotors, calipers, and mounting brackets?

Anybody know anything about this to make them work?

And yeah, to work on a 14FF, too.

Does anybody have any caliper mounting brackets laying around that they can hold up on the spindle/flange on the 14FF to see what type of modifications could be done?

Come on, someone must know something here...spill it out. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Go check out the pictures on my web site. I'm almost finished doing that to a Dana 70HD. It would be very similar because the factory 4 bolt flange on the housing is the same size for both axles. Email me if you want any more pictures (nvrenuf@bellsouth.net).

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

3. thatK30guy

Funny you replied to this thread!! [​IMG]
    I made this thread after seeing your pics already! [​IMG]

What you did got me wondering why no one has anything to do the D60 rotors and calipers on the 14FF's.

Do you know how to set this up for a 14FF? Do I still need to have a spacer made?

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I put D-60 front stuff on a 14bolt FF van rear in my project rig Wes, its all home brew and there is no spacer. Its built using GM D-60 rotors,caliper mounts/calipers and the small ring. I could have used the dust shield as well but chose not to. I made 2 flanges out of 1/2" plate on a lathe and put a bolt circle on them that matched the bolt circle on the caliper mounts after determining the correct rotation using a front for reference.I then fiquirered in the correct spacing with the plate and caliper mount thickness and welded the flange on the unmachined area of the axle close to the factory flange with 4 healthy 1" long welds on each side of the new flange using 4 temp. spacers that were turned exactly the same c-clamped from the new flange to the old flange to hold everything square during the welding.
    You could make a spacer instead of welding like the other set-ups, I`ll try to get some good pics of this when I get a chance!

RGF

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I made the brackets for my 3/4 ton rear disc, I could probably do the same for 1 ton stuff. About how much would a D60 rotor/caliper/pads cost? (Need them to set the stuff up.)

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i have ACAD drawn a bolt on adapter for dana 70 to use front 60 brakes. if the spacing is same as 14ff like may be hinted above...

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

7. thatK30guy

Ralph, so using the stock GM D60 pieces (rotors, calipers, caliper mounts) will all work and fit on a 1/2" ring made to bolt to the existing 4 holes on the 14FF flange? Plus the other holes to fit the caliper mount?

I would prefer a bolt-in operation instead of a weld-in. If this is the case, all I need to have made is the 1/2" ring with a few holes drilled in it, right?

How about pics of your setup, close up shots, too? [​IMG]

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

mine had to be couple inches thick

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

9. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

If you want to have it bolt-on you will need to use a spacer for sure, and like mj said it will be a thick one. Thats actually what got me to thinking of welding the flange on there,the thought of 4 closely spaced bolts holding all that iron on there didnt set well with me. I had no problem with welding on a 14bolt because there a dime a dozen so to speak and I do trust my welding!

You asked why people dont use the one ton stuff more often? As you know D-60 front stuff is hard to come up with, at least for a good price anyways. Nobobys going to disable a good mega$$$ front-end for a couple caliper mounts and I have no idea what they sell for new.
    You can get new GM60 rotors @ Napa for $44.(made in Canada) and I paid something like $38.+exchange for rebuilt calipers so the only special pieces you need are those mounts.

Also for the guy running the 15" rims it will be grinding 4 calipers time but Im guessing that I will have some serious brakes coupled with the hydro-boost set-up.

I will get some pictures of this but not sure when,maybe this weekend!

RGF