Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Since we are talking boats here, how about some help here?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Storm Trooper, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    We'll, I know that Fumes has a boat he's going to be working on and not to take away from his tread at all but here is the boat I'm hoping to get next month.
    I have a couple questions though.
    I'm getting what I feel is a good deal on this boat because it got hit by lightning.
    It has had all the electrical, wiring, pumps and electronics replaced with new.
    I don't have all the details but unless there's some other unknown damage to it, it's the best deal I have found.
    Anyone think of something else that might have happened to it I should look for? Nothing else I have seen comes close to the price.
    Some of the spec.s:
    2001 Pro Sports ProKat WA
    LOA 26'-6"
    Beam 8'-6"
    150 HP Yamaha 2-strokes, approx. 300 Hrs.
    Garmin 2010 Chart Plotter, GPS, Fish finder.
    I believe it has Garmin Radar, Auto Pilot unknown at this time.
    More details can be provided if needed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those that know these boats, what do you think a boat like this would go for? I really don't want to disclose the price but at least it may help me decide if I'm getting a good enough price. :eek1:
    I'm hoping to go check it out closer next month.
    I can't wait to go fishing for some Grouper!!!!!!! :D
    Thanks, Dave

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

well other than its the exact same kinda boat i want. i'm not sure Dave.but you can keep it here so its close to Erie.:haha: :haha:

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont know the real market price of a boat like that. But DROOL.... Power Cats are very nice boats. Excellent fishing machines. Smooth ride shallow draft. I have had the pleasure of fishing from a smaller one( 22 ft). I have wanted one ever since.
    I would venture to guess a boat like that one would sell for around 80K+. Depending on condition. Looks like it has all the options. Does it have a generator? With all the whistles and bells that fine craft has it must have been over 120K+ new.
    If the wireing and electronics are new it should be ok.
    I would check that the engine electronics/computers were replaced and give the whole boat a good through look thru.
    Good Luck! I hope it works out for you.

4. Storm Trooper

Good try Daryl !! :D
    We use to laugh about the stuff floating in the Detroit river long ago.
    I'm sure they cleaned it up but I'll pass. It was 81F in Punta Gorda today.
    Where I'm at, it got to a whopping 12F :doah: .
    You got to a warm 47F??????
    It does have plenty of room for beer though and Jack to keep me warm.

5. Storm Trooper

Yeah, It's far less than that and doesn't have everything I would like but I
    can't afford a 80-100K boat.
    It's got a port-a-potti, no shore power, no generator, only 10 gal. fresh water tank, no AC or heat, no fridge and no hot water.
    I figured it's lighter because of it. I can always add stuff later but it would be good enough for me. It won't cost me 40K to add a couple things.
    I did got out on a sea trial of this boat -
    [​IMG]

This is the boat I wanted that has everything but it's a little over 100K :eek1: .
    We went out when it was 2-4ft seas and did it at 45 MPH.
    We hit every wake around full out and I had my pop sitting on the console in front of me, never spilled a drop. I LOVE CAT BOATS!

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thanks for not double hi-jacking Dave....Mine is really a wooden boat kinda thread... Mang that is a nice boat yer lookin at buddy...:wink1:

7. Storm Trooper

No Prob. each boat has it's own good points.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

And ALL have their bad points.... :wink1:

A ground plate could have saved them some headache... #1 thing to do for lightning protection... Lightning hits are kinda hit or miss, sometimes barely anything gets hurt, and sometimes the surge will pop, fry nearly everything on the boat..

Also, remember that all thruhulls should be checked after, during a short-haul.. That juice got to the water somehow, and I've seen thruhulls get severely damaged from lightning...

I wouldn't so much be checking to see if everything works, but if quality product was properly reinstalled that meets ABYC guidelines.. Nothing worse than hacked wiring...

Those Yami's are a solid platform, quality motor...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  9. Storm Trooper

I was checking some web pages that showed where the lightning came out and the damage it did.
    I also searched for lightning protection and read all about ground plates (never knew that stuff).
    If everything works out basically from here, I will be going down there, the beginning of Jan. to
    fully check it out myself and take it out.
    I might even have some surveyors go through it to & a mechanic.
    BTW, unless they are super pros at wiring, It would be hard for anyone to do it as nice as I'd want it done.
    If they're hacks, the deal will be off.
    The other boats I put up on here would have been nice but I think this one will be more practical for my needs.
    Having a upper station during 200 lb Tarpon time will rock! :saweet:

10. Storm Trooper

Any other input that could help out would be appreciated.
    Are the Yamaha OX66 motors pretty good? I like Yamaha products.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont have a lot of experience with Yamaha OBs. But I do really like Yamahas I have owned quite a few 2 wheelers. I still have an IT 490 it that I love to ride. It has been a good dependable machine for the desert Comfortable and fast.......Errrr there I go rambling again Mind wanders when you get old.
    Oh yeah back to boats.
    I have had one small yamaha OB. It was a nice little kicker i used as an Aux/trolling motor on one of my boats. Always started on first pull and never skipped a beat trolling, nice and quiet. I sold the boat it was on, but i never should have included that sweet little 9.9 in the deal. I could use it now.
    I have heard nothing but good about those 0X66 motors. Peope I have talked to really like them. I have been out on a boat that had one and it trolled great and kept a nice steady speed all day without loading up surging ect.
    The boats owner loved it and told me he had never had any trouble with it.
    It was an older one maby 1999? I like Yamaha controls too they feel good in your hand.
    300 hours really is not that much for a 2001 boat. If it has had good maint It looks like you may be getting a sweet deal.
    Look close at the motors for signs of corrosion and salt encrustations weeping out of the cooling system or head gaskets.
    But from the looks of the pics the owner took pretty good care of that boat. He skimped on the comforts and put money into the important stuff. The only thing I dont like about it is It doesn't have enough rocket launchers.:D

12. Storm Trooper

Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah, everone I've talked to about them have thought they were great motors. I have had many Yami snowmobiles and they rocked.
    My daughter is going to look at it for me tomorrow or Sat. just to make sure
    it's not a piece of ........... She can be my eyes for now.
    Pictures always look better then the actual thing.
    The only reason I'm considering it a good deal is because when I was down there checking out the new boats, the owner told me about it and said he would sell it to me for over 10K off the listed price.
    It's worth what it's listed for but if the deal is really that sweet, I'll be flying down after the holidays to check it out and buy it.
    I just set up the install of a 12.5K lift to be put in behind my house so I'm ready. I'm stoked about having a toy like this.
    I've seriously busted a$$ for so long I can't remember so it's time to treat myself to another toy. BTW, I have never bought a new car or truck in my life.
    If anyone can think of ANYTHING I should check on I might be missing with this type of boat, please let me know. I've had boats before and did stuff like timing chains, changing lower unit lube etc. but nothing like this boat.
    Any easy way to tell if they patched the hull & re-gelcoated it? Maybe check inside where I can? I'll be looking hard for lightning exit wounds.
    [​IMG]

13. Storm Trooper

OK, sorry but I have another question.
    I finnally found out just what electronics the boat has and was wondering
    if any of you had any 1st hand experience with these and how good/easy
    they are to operate etc....
    1st-
    GPSMAP 2010/2010C

[​IMG]
    Enlarge image

[​IMG][​IMG]GSD 20 can add sonar capabilities to this unit. Package includes:
    [​IMG]
    • GPSMAP® 2010 or 2010C
    • Basemap: Worldwide Marine
    • GPS 17N external remote sensor
    • Power/data cable
    • Bail mount
    • Template for flush mounting
    • Protective front cover
    • Owner’s manual
    • Quick reference guide
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] MapSource Compatibility[​IMG]Garmin Recommends:
    Select MapSource Product BlueChart Data Cards (Pre-programmed) BlueChart BlueChart BlueChart Inland Lakes LakeMaster Michigan LakeMaster Wisconsin MetroGuide Australia Minnesota LakeMaster TOPO Canada Trip and Waypoint Manager U.S. Rec Lakes w/Fishing Hot Spots - East v5 U.S. Rec Lakes w/Fishing Hot Spots -Central v5 U.S. Rec Lakes w/Fishing Hot Spots -West v5 US TOPO 24K, National Parks, Central US TOPO 24K, National Parks, East US TOPO 24K, National Parks, West WorldMap * denotes limitations
    [​IMG] Video Overview[​IMG][​IMG]

Hi-res Overview 18.3MB mpegLo-res Overview 5.81MB mpeg[​IMG] GPSMAP 2000
    The GPSMAP 2010 (shown behind) and 2010C (shown front) are works of art in their own right. These full-featured chartplotters boast 10-inch screens with either a 10-level grayscale or 256-color display. You'll be amazed at the exceptional resolution and extremely fast redraw and response time.
    Designed for use above deck or at the navstation, these chartplotters are waterproof and easy to read, even in sunlight. Their smart antennas have built-in WAAS receivers, which deliver position accuracy to within three meters (on average). Both units have a worldwide basemap with excellent coastline detail and accept up to two optional data cards with Garmin's exclusive BlueChart® cartography. The GPSMAP 2010 and 2010C are also compatible with many MapSource® CD-ROM products, including Fishing Hot Spots.
    Garmin part number: 010-00222-00
    GPSMAP 2010 Suggested Retail Price:
    $1000.00 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

Garmin part number: 010-00223-00
    GPSMAP 2010C Suggested Retail Price:
    $2171.41 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

14. Storm Trooper

2nd -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Enlarge image

Package includes:
    [​IMG]
    • GPSMAP® 182 or 182C
    • Basemap:
      Worldwide Marine
    • Power/Data cable
    • Bail mount
    • Protective front cover
    • Remote antenna
    • Owner's manual
    • Quick reference guide
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] MapSource Compatibility[​IMG]Garmin Recommends:
    Select MapSource Product BlueChart Data Cards (Pre-programmed) BlueChart BlueChart BlueChart Inland Lakes LakeMaster Michigan LakeMaster Wisconsin Minnesota LakeMaster TOPO Canada Trip and Waypoint Manager U.S. Rec Lakes w/Fishing Hot Spots - East v5 U.S. Rec Lakes w/Fishing Hot Spots -Central v5 U.S. Rec Lakes w/Fishing Hot Spots -West v5 US TOPO 24K, National Parks, Central US TOPO 24K, National Parks, East US TOPO 24K, National Parks, West WorldMap * denotes limitations
    [​IMG] Product Training Video[​IMG][​IMG] Produced by Garmin
    Buy Now
    Available from local dealers or our online store. More Info>
    [​IMG] Video Overview[​IMG][​IMG]
    Hi-res Overview 21.0MB mpegLo-res Overview 7.88MB mpegThis product has been discontinued. We are happy to help you, and will continue to support this product. Click on the left-hand sidemenu links or visit our support web pages for further assistance.
    The GPSMAP 182/182C feature crisp, high-resolution displays and high-speed processors, which allow for an extremely fast redraw rate. These chartplotters have a built-in WAAS receiver, which means they can pinpoint your location and other map features within three meters, on average.
    The GPSMAP 182/182C's built-in worldwide basemap provides coastline detail, U.S. tide data, and inland cartography. The detail gets even better when you plug in an optional data card with Garmin's exclusive BlueChart® marine cartography or detailed maps from our MapSource® product line. Like all Garmin marine products, these units are tough enough to stand up to saltwater, sunlight, and other elements.
    The GPSMAP 182C offers daylight-viewable color as an option to the monochrome display of the GPSMAP 182.
    Garmin part number: 010-00238-00
    GPSMAP 182 Suggested Retail Price:
    $571.41 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

Garmin part number: 010-00259-00
    GPSMAP 182C Suggested Retail Price:
    $853.32 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

15. Storm Trooper

3rd-
    2D 18 in. 2kW Compact 18" High Performance Pathfinder 2KW Radome Antenna
    [​IMG]Product Number: M92650-S
    Suggested Retail Price: $1,215.00
    U.S. Dollars​
    Add to My Wish List24NM maximum range. Low noise receiver with 8 Pulse width/PRF settings delivers outstanding performance on every range. Compatible with Pathfinder R,RL,SL series displays,C-Series and E-Series displays

4th-
    RL70C Plus Daylight Viewable 7” Color Pathfinder Radar display with hsb2 networking capability
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Product Number: E52033
    Suggested Retail Price: $2,790.00
    U.S. Dollars​
    Add to My Wish ListSince the introduction of the Pathfinder series of radar, the RL70 Series has become the best-selling radar in the category worldwide. The reputation for unmatched performance, ease-of-use and reliability have made Pathfinder a legend. A new legend begins, as Raymarine introduces the Pathfinder Plus series. With all the features of the award-winning Pathfinder family, the flexibility of hsb2 multi-station capability, and 10-target MARPA.

Any got any comments on these?
    Would you buy them for your boat?
    Thanks for anyone that knows.

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Holy Poop. That is some good stuff. as I said in eariler post. PO skimped on comfort and put money where it was important. Next step up from what is on that boat is what the commercial fishers use. I dont have first hand experience with that stuff as far as using it. But I have seen charter boats with cheaper stuff.

I get by on the ocean with a Compass, Hummingbird Depth finder/GPS/chart combo, and a cheapo Eagle Cuda Fish finder/Gps for back up.

As far as ease of operation. They all have have basic functions that are easy to learn to get you by for basic navigation. As you use your boat more and more and play with them you will learn the more advanced functions. just keep the manual handy and try everything out. It aint rocket science but it is pretty close. Technology makes it easy:wink1:
    What is really fun. Is to turn off everything and rely on a compass, watch , sextant, and sun charts.

17. Storm Trooper

Yeah, I'm planning to do some serious learning about charts and plotting etc. after I get the boat.
    I don't like to rely on things that can shut down in a moments notice.
    Once I slow down on working my arse off, I will be putting on the serious hunt for hot spot fishing holes and learning what it takes to get a captains license. After that, I my turn it into a fun job.
    Taking people out on sunset cruises and fishing trips. I've got some buddies down in FL. that would make awesome guides.
    For now, it will just be for fun.
    One of these days, you'll have to join us out on the Gulf.
    This is what I'm looking to hunt for just out from my place -
    [​IMG]
    My place is only a short ride to Trophy fishing areas :D .
    Here's a map, my place is located at the top right side of this map at the bottom of the bump-
    [​IMG]

18. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

where's it at? i have a good customer of mine who is a mobile marine mechanic i could hook you up with to have him give it a once-over, im sure his fees are reasonable, especially before shelling out the $$ for the boat...

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Man I would love to go tarpon fishing. Catching one of those rocket fish would be a dream come true. I have caught Tuna (albacore) They are a blast. I mostly fish for salmon, halibut, ling cod and other bottom fish on the Pacific coast. We have a 20 Foot Starcraft set up strictly for ocean fishing we keep on a friends place close to the N Cal coast. I also have a 18 foot Sportcraft which has seen many hours in salt water too.

20. Storm Trooper

It's in Ft. Myers so I would be looking for someone like him, if he's good to meet me there when I come down (if it all pans out).
    PM me with his info. when you get a chance.
    It might help to have your real name too unless he
    knows you by your screen name :D . Thanks for the lead.
    BTW, we are almost neighbors! My place is in Punta Gorda.
    Thunder,
    Keep your eye's out and you'll know if I get it. Then maybe some day you can come down and do some fishing with me. It will take me some time to find the right hot spots but with enough beer money, I might be able to work a couple good spots out of the guys down there :haha: .
    Flights to Florida are cheap.
    If things work out, I maybe living down there before next winter.
    Then I'll just fly back here to take "Storm Trooper" out to the rocks.