Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Single and dual stator torque convertors - 2:1 v 4:1?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Dec 2, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I "potentially" learned something new this last weekend. I've heard that a standard single-stator torque converter supplies the-often-debated 2:1 reduction. I then learned that 4L80's run a dual-stator torque converter that supplies a 4:1 reduction!

Is there any truth in this? You'll have to excuse me if this is well known info... I'd just never heard such a thing.

Are there dual stator convertors available for the TH-400?

-Dan

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The really cool thing for a Turbo 400 is supposed to be a switch-pitch torque converter. There were used in some GM cars back in the 60's. Just by flipping a switch on the dash the stall speed can be switched between low stall (great for rock crawling) and high stall (great for quick launches and mud racing). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It's not something that you can just slap on though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Here's an article that I found on it: http://buickperformance.com/switchpitch.htm

3. KRAZIE87K5

Yea, I read some similar info out on the Internet about the "switch-pitch" TQs of the 60s. There is actually some talk of them here on CK5 too! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Still though, the question remains if there is any truth to the 3-4:1 torque multiplication of the dual stator TQ. Pirate also makes mention of this... but I didn't find any concrete proof. Additionally, most everyone will agree that any time you install a TQ with funny stall features (swtich-pitch) or when you run a dual stator TQ you ADD HEAT to your transmission... and that is the #1 enemy to an slushbox's longevity.

All of which makes sense to me... I guess I should just stop looking for torque multiplying short cuts. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Dan

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The torque converter is what generates most of the heat in an auto box. So the more you make it slip (dual stators or high stall speeds) the more heat it is going to generate. So a massive tranny cooler is a must. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But I haven't seen any specs for the newer GM trannies and their torque converters. Perhaps some quality time spent at www.google.com would find some answers for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. KRAZIE87K5

Google returns all of THREE URLs when searching for "dual stator torque converter"... there is talk in ONE of them about the 4L80E having a DIESEL version TQ that will produce a 3.5:1 torque multiplyer, they also note that it has a very LOW stall speed. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

See what a guy gets for asking a tough question? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Maybe I'll be stuck calling a torque converter manufacturer. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

-Dan