Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

single key conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DwarF, Apr 6, 2004.

1. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

Is it a simple matter of getting the locks re-keyed to be able to have a single key for both ignition, doors (and tailgate) or is there something more to this?

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

The keyways are different so you can't get the ignition to work in the glove/console/doors. There may be some aftermarket lock sets or ignition locks that would allow you to get everything keyed alike but it isn't possible with the stock stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

You just need to buy an older rig! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif My '71 Burb uses the same key for everything. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I believe that LMC sells a matched set for the Blazers and alike...

5. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Most military trucks have same-keyed locks and ignition. Maybe you could get a set from one of the surplus dealers.

6. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

Nope. I called LMC after this post and found that they don't. I even argued that they must and made Tonya search though all her contacts there to se if it was so. She said they have single key setups for other models, but not the 82-88.

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i use one key for tailgate and doors. From my experience, all the gm cars i've owned have had a different key for doors and ignition. The round and the square one.

8. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Nope. I called LMC after this post and found that they don't. I even argued that they must and made Tonya search though all her contacts there to se if it was so. She said they have single key setups for other models, but not the 82-88.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 86 GMC K3500 has a single key for the doors and ignition. The locks use the square key to lock and unlock the doors. It was done by the PO so I dont know how it was done.

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

look in your phone book for a locksmith.
    they can normaly do it.
    i know G&T lock in Yuma AZ can do it.
    i just ditched the doors for tube doors...
    Grant /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    look in your phone book for a locksmith.
    they can normaly do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ditto, I pretty sure they can do it, prob pricy though. Check around.
    Good luck

11. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

I have found that 73 and some 74 chevy tks had the same ing and door key I used to save them I would have to look this weekend to see if I still have a matching set in the shed both of my plow tks use one key for doors and ing and it is the square key design one tk is a 74 and was like that when I got it my 76 plow tk got its ing and locks out of a 73 tk also check on the early seventys GM cars that had the ing in the colume some of them used only one key. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

12. rusty73

rusty73 Newbie

Chevy Duty sells matching ignition and door locks but not for the tailgate i don't think.

13. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Yep, I bought matching door/ignition/glove box keys from chevy duty, or was it cheyenne? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Anyway, I think LMC sells an uncoded cylinder and blank key for the tailgate, then you can have a locksmith match it to the setup you buy from chevy duty, or was it cheyenne? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

14. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I have gone to a tailgate conversion and custom center console, so that doesn't really matter to me. All I really need are the doors and ignition to match. So I will give Chevy Duty a try