Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

single or dual steering stabilizer **UPDATE one more?**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jun 5, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Got the new shocks on and it took away a lot of the bumpsteer, but there still is a lot and it really likes to wander. What are the pro's and con's of single and dual? Also, is there any guarantee that a dual would be any better than a single or is it just another shock hanging on the axle?

Thanks

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Re: single or dual steering stabilizer (really need opinions-gotta buy one)

Just try a single first, and see what it doe's. If it still wander's/wobble's, go for the double. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

You need to check your caster. Did shims come with the front springs? The stabilizer will not fix the problem, it might hide the symptons - some. Have you taken it to a alignment shop and had it checked? Or if it has shims up front, take them out and see if that helps.

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Didn't come with any shims. I am going to take it to the alignment shop real soon, just got it moving again.

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

What size tires? 33" and down single, 35" and up dual.

Dan

6. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

If you do get a double try to find one that doesnt leave a shock hanging down below the axle, just causes carnage on the trail. I went through two before learning my lesson /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    -Kell-

7. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I've got the dual rancho set-up. Its missing the bottom shock cause it got bent. If ya want it let me know. Cheap. It would give you a chance to see if one is enough. If that doesnt work you can add the other one

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I've been running without a stabilizer for about 2 years now. Don't know if I ever will run one either. DP had it close though, take a look at the caster. Make sure that your TRE's are in good shape and the ball joints are tight. Might doesn't really wander, at least I don't think it does. I know the Steering box brace from ORD helped me out too.

Bumpsteer is just a factor of the steering setup. With the short draglink, you'll feel a lot. I found that a steering stabilizer just hid what was really happening with the frontend...

9. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I plan on getting the alignment checked real soon. I have replaced the draglink ends with new MOOG ends and when I get the gears swapped into the front I am going to replace the ball joints. I also plan on getting an ORD box brace, not necessarily for the bumpsteer but for the box/frame area. Maybe that will help with some of the problems I've been having.

Currently I am running 36x14.5x15. I know I have a lot of unsprung weight added to the front end, so I know its not going to drive like it did when it was stock, but I think there is room for improvement over the way it feels now.

I also have an aftermarket steering wheel that has about 1" diameter less than the stock steering wheel. I was wondering if putting a stock diameter one back on would help to reduce the amount of travel in the wheel to get to steer going down the road.

10. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

UPDATE:

Got the front end aligned today and it made a good improvement on the way the steering feels. I am now looking in to dual steering stabilizers but I want the type that run parallel to the axle, not the stacked kind. Anybody running that style that can point me in the right direction to find one?

Thanks

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

maybe its all the kits ive seen but when they are not stacked, again ill say on all 4 ive seen installed, it was impossible to center the middle bracket on the axle because of the pumpkin. It was all on 10 bolt front ends so it may be different on other axles, but it ended up extending the turning radius to the left. The drivers side stabilizer would bottom out before it turned all the way. I prefer duals, all i do is drag em through the mud a bit lol, not rip em off on a rock.