Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

single ps belt to dual???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Feb 28, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Ok so I tightened my power steering belt... then after a few hours of wheelin it loosened up again.. I was told that the double belt setup is better... how can I get one? what cars, trucks would have it so I can goto the junkyard or aftermarket kit....
  2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Mar 22, 2002
    an airconditioned truck will have a 2 groove pulley on the pump, 3 on the crank and 3 on the wanter pump. then you got the 2 belt power steering pump.

you might want to check the brackets to make sure none are cracked, had the same problem and the bracket that bolts to the head and manifold was cracked.
  3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    If it's loosening up, somethings not right. Belt should break before you ever have to worry about the pump working itself loose. In ther words, just figure out why it's loosening up and fix that, no need for a second belt.

You'd need a complete pulley setup off of a donor vehicle to get them to line up likely, and power steering pulley is a pain to get off, need to get the puller to remove it. I had to deal with pulleys off of multiple vehicles putting my truck together...it's a major hassle. All sorts of different pulley combinations used, and that means that not all pulleys will line up with each other.