Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Single wire on TH400 trans. What is it too?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cybrfire, Jan 20, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

My donor truck was a 1982 deisel 3/4 ton truck. When I pulled the trans I noticed a single orange wire attached to the driver side of the trans. Does anybody know what it is for? Thanks.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It goes to a switch on the accelerator bracket that tells the tranny when you've mashed the loud pedal. Then the tranny goes into passing gear. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. cybrfire

So with this trans there is no cable operated kickdown Correct? I wonder how I get that switch to work on my setup. I don't have that switch on my carb. Is there an aftermarket switch?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Rob the switch from the parts truck...

Rene

5. cybrfire

gone and crushed. Not sure I could pry it out of that ball of steel. hehe. Thanks anyway. I will get a replacement one. Thanks for the info though.

6. HarryH3

The switch is mounted on the gas pedal bracket, under the dash. The holes for the screws should already be there on your bracket. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Grab the switch and wiring from any other rig with a Turbo 400. I got mine from an old Jeep Wagoneer. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah it's on the gas pedal braket and mine is in the wagoneer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. cybrfire

I guess I assumed it was on the linkage on the carb. Is this something a guy can just hook up to a momentary switch and a 12volt power supply?

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no because you will be moving gas pedal alot and need it on and off often

find a switch i have one im gonna see if you want to buy off me, i have entire accelerator assembly with switch intact and all off a 74 works good, check your PM's

10. HarryH3

Hooking it up correctly is FAR too easy to even monkey around with a hack job. Get the right swtich and you can have it all installed properly in about 15 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well all it does is the kick down shifting, and the upshifting is controled by the vacuum modulator.
    When mine was unhooked, by mistake, I felt it wasn't working so I downshifted manually and it was actually smother and better for the tranny.
    You can do that while you get the parts.
    I still do even after putting the line, sometimes because my gearing is too tall, I downshift to keep the engine in the sweet spot.

12. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Just hooked mine up last week after a 700 to 400 swap. A new switch was 30 at the local Chevy dealer. When I called to get a quote, they said 22. So when I went in & was told 30, I bitched. They sold it to me for the 22. Just hook one lead to the fuse box with something that comes on with the ignition & run the other through the firewaal to the trans. I ran mine where the speedo cable goes. Anyway, make sure you don't run the wire too tight to allow for flex & later mods (body lift?). This was the easiest maintenance work I ever did on my Burb. The only problem I had was the switch barely moved when the accelerator pedal went all the way down. Fixed this by putting a piece of hose over the switch part & it works like a charm. Hope this helped, or at the very least, didn't hurt!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. HarryH3

Wow! And I thought I got ripped when the yard wanted $5 for the switch, screws and wiring! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif