Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

siping... $10 a tire the norm?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Aug 29, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

talked to my buddies at America's Tire... they mounted my 39.5s for me, and swapped my on-road 35s from 6 lug to 8 lug rims too. They said siping was generally $10 a tire and depending on what exactly I wanted, could be a little more. Is that a decent price? Also, do peeps generally sipe just the interior lugs on TSLs or do the do the big knobies to? tia! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

$10 sounds right. From those I have seen just sipped the inner treads

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Ok I can vouch here. I work at discount tire (same as america tire). I know here (NC) we have tent sales like the last or first weekend of some months. When we have those siping usually goes down to $7 a tire (at my store, may be different there). There is a spiral razor blade on the machine that rotates around and the machine rotates the tire around. They can do as wide as they want. We usually go from about 1/2 from the edge of the tire all the way across to about 1/2 or so from the other side. Not all sure if this would help off road that much, but its worth a try.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Did you ask Les Schwabs?

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Good ol Les kinda rubbed me the wrong way... the peeps there wouldnt mount my 39.5s for me. I didnt even want them to balance them for me... just mount em. They said something about how they dont do NEW tires. I guess they mean tires not bought from them. Oh well, the America's Tire employees were cool and did everything I asked'em to. They we're diggin my set up (equal tire balancing stuff + flush mount stems etc) and we talked 4x4s a bit. Pretty cool guys. That said, I didnt wanna get jipped on a price on the siping. gotta pinch pennies were I can. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif anyway, thanks for the info!

J

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you ahve the time and don't care about perfect symmetry of the cuts you can always cut them yourself with a carpet knife like me. Works great!

I siped the outer lugs along with the inner, works great!

Oh here's an observation - When there's weight on the tires that are siped, they will not open up much and you can barely see them. When there is no weight, they open up quite a bit and might chunk a little. I found this out when I was running with no bed halfway into my flatbed remodel.