Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Siping BFG Muds

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FWP, Oct 16, 2000.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Anybody ever done it themselves? How hard was it? Reduced tire life? Torn off pieces when wheelin? Just thinkin about it for Winter, just the two rows of center studs.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

2. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

DISCOUNT TIRE does it for 10 bucks each. done it to mine and the difference was huge

3. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

<font color=red>DONT DO IT</font color=red>
    i had this done to my last BFGs and i still got stuck when wheeling and hit a sheet of ice and i had mine chunck up when the tires spun on a rock and they tend to pick up sand and pebbles and throw them more i would never do it again

<font color=green>SMP</font color=green>[​IMG]

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've heard good things about siping. I think 4WOR or Four Wheeler did an article about this not too long ago.

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I cut about half of my right front before a wheeling trip just to see how it would hold up. I used a utility knife with the blade out about a 1/4" and put two cuts in each lug. All my other tires got cut up pretty bad on a hill climb that was mostly slate and field stones (had to use the skinny pedal quite a bit). I figured the siped lugs were going to get shredded but they were the only ones that didn't get cut by the rocks. I'm going to finish cutting the rest of them this week.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

6. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Mine are siped, I have literally crawled straight up a rock face that everyone else who was following me spun their tires on, I never spun a tire. the siping will also keep the tire cooler thus increasing tread life.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Jason, yeah, I read it, that's what made me think about it. thanks

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Mudfanatic, When you say yours were done, how? and by whom?

9. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Are you all just Siping the inside lugs? I was also wanting to do this to my BFG M/T's. How deep are the cuts suppose to be?

Thanks

http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/

10. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Americas tire company did them when I bought them, they are the BFG Mud Terrains and only the center lugs are cut, I am not sure how deep though.
    DAn

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

12. FWP

FWP CRS

Makes sense. I think I'll try it on 2 tires first, see how it goes. Better call and see how or if it affects the warranty though.

13. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

14. FWP

FWP CRS

You know, those little bitty grooves that are cut sideways on a tread, for the water to get through, or to bite the snow. As opposed to going out and buying ATs

15. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT?????? What is 'siping' a tire?

blazen91

16. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Hand siped a set of TSL swamps a couple years ago. They became famous in 4WOR. I used a hot siping iron like the circle track guys use. Cuts were about 1/4" deep and every 1/4" across the center tread. They added noticibly to the traction. Icy/snowy situations weren't as scary as they could be and it helped out a lot on we slickrock. I did have "chuncking problems" and my solution would be to leave at least 1/2" of uncut rubber at the front and back edge of each tread lug, then cut every 1/4" across the center. This would keep the lug edges from being cut off. I would do it again as long as I could do it by hand. For a lot of offroad use, I would stay away from the machine jobs, they put the cuts where ever they fall and it could be too close to the edge of a lug. For mostly street use, a machine job would be fine.
    good luck
    SW

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Siping tires is easy to do yourself and a very effective traction aiding procedure. The idea is to make cuts in the tread lugs perpendicular to the tire rotation. No material is removed from the tire, it is just cut. You just use a plain utility knife, no special "heated blade" is needed. You hold the blade out straight away from the tire and cut through the lug from one side to the other. The cuts can be spaced from 1/4" to 1" apart, depending on the tire and where you will be driving. Don't put any sipes real close to the leading or trailing edge of the lug, or it might break off. Don't cut any deeper than 1/8" to 1/4" and make sure that you don't get within 1/4 of the tire carcass. A deeper sipe allows more tread flexibility, but gives more chance for chunking. If you wear throught he sipes, just cut 'em again. After you have siped a lug, you can rub your finger across it and it will flex, revealing all of the new biting edges that you have added. Just sipe one lug at a time, and go all the way around the tire. You don't want to sipe the outside lugs (left or right of each tire), because this is what accelerates the "chunking". Your wet traction is all gonna come from the center lugs anyway.

In my opinion, it's actually better to do it yourself, because you can place the sipes where they logically should go, whereas a machine just spaces cuts evenly all around the tire.

Hope that clears it all up...

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

18. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. Here is a site Depdog posted a few months ago. And there are a few threads about it in the forum if you do a search on 'sip' (for sipe or siping) and 'tire' you can find them.

http://reality.sgi.com/rogerb/4x4/CheapTricks/tiresiping.html

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

19. FWP

FWP CRS

Excellent link. Thank you all for the input.