Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Siping Boggers (because they are scary on snowy streets)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Dec 4, 2005.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

So this fall I was all excited to put my 40" Boggers on my K5, only to find out recently what a NIGHTMARE they are when it is slick out (especially snow and ice). The giant width makes them want to go their own way, and because the ground pressure is so low they are always 1 second away from running off the road (or worse). :doah:

Has anyone had success adding siping to Boggers? Or should I just get a more street friendly tire for the winter? How do you go about siping?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

:haha: :haha: boggers in snow and wants safe traction.

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Yeah yeah, but I'm only 50% moron, I promise. :D

I was just wondering if anyone had luck trying to sipe them.

Also will switching to a narrower tire increse my ground pressure, and thus increase my "bite" as well?

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, lets get it figured out right now, sipe, groove, or cut?

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm not sure the difference between those terms.

By sipe I meant to cut small lines in the tread blocks to give the tire more biting edges. Was I using the term correctly? Could you explain the others?

6. mikey_d05

I'm not 100% sure if I'm using the terms correctly but siping is very small grooves like you see in the tread blocks of BFG A/T's. Never honestly seen a bogger done this way so I wouldn't know the affects. I know my BFG's work very well on ice and have a ton of siping in them though.

Grooving is deeper and wider. Usually the full depth of the tread block and anywhere from pencil lead wide to 7/8" wide. A couple guys in the club run heavily grooved boggers to help increase lateral stability. Works very well from what I've seen and I can think of one rig in particular that I wouldn't be afraid to drive on the street in the snow like that.

Cutting when applied to boggers is most often referred to as eliminating lugs which you don't wanna do if you're trying to watch out for lateral stability. A couple guys in my club run 'em like this also and they clean extremely well but are useless when you start to go sideways.

Edit: Disclaimer, this is the knowledge that I have gained from a few drinking (wrenching) sessions and should only be taken as such.

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

If only they made 40" BFG TA/KOs. :D If I tried to run the biggest ones they make, I'd be doing 4500 RPM down the highway. :eek1:

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

still a little vague (to me at least).

Sipe - razor slim slices in the tread blocks (the little lines in car tires)
    Groove - 1/8" to 3/8" wide "slice" that is usually about 1/4 of the tread deep (the custom TSL look)
    Cut - remove 1/8" or more wide portion of the tread completely (or very close to) the total tread depth (like removing a complet tread block)

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

use a rozor blade and sipe them. worked great for my friend when he went to the snow. although he had to sipe them again when he got there because the cuts werent very deep and the tires wore out really fast on the street.

edit: didnt work GREAT but much better.

10. mikey_d05

Yikes, are you open to buying another set of tires? Honestly, on a DD, I wouldn't run boggers in winter. I played with the trail truck after we got a little bit of snow and it would get sideways in a heartbeat. BFG makes a 39" baja tire but I doubt that'd do well in snow.

11. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pics would help this alot

12. mikey_d05

My personal definition of the techniques.

Sipes:

[​IMG]

Grooves:

[​IMG]

Cuts:

[​IMG]

Soooo....if I had the choice I would either sipe the hell out of them or groove them perpendicular to the tread blocks. I've had some problems on my A/T's with pearock getting jammed in the sipes and chunking the tread. Nothing major, just a little annoying with brand new tires.

13. mayerichm

mayerichm Registered Member

I have Nitto Terragrapplers and they have lots of siping. Works great on ice and still agressive enough for snow...and I think they come in several larger sizes

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

wider tire floats. skinny cuts and bites.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Siping tends to run perpendicular to the direction of travel... on the Bogger, thats the same direction as all the tread blocks run. If you're going to do it, it'd prolly be best to have the sipping cuts at 45 degree angles on the tread blocks. A different type of tire would be a wiser decision. I mean, what happens if you buy some Boggers and f them up trying to do some experimental siping? I'd just get TSLs and be done with it.

j

16. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Yes, I'm open to buying another set of tires. The dilema would be that they would have to be as cheap as possible for tires as close to 40" as possible. (Hence my other thread asking about retreads.)

17. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

So the TSLs (radial or bias?) perform well in winter street conditions in your opinion? WIth those big non-siped tread blocks I figured they would have the same problem.

18. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I definitely agree with getting another set of tires. Yours just don't lend themselves to siping.

Siping is definitely the way to go. Check out the post re. Cooper STT's 37's cheap, big, and siped.

19. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I would go with some TSL SSR radials... Lots of siping in the center, they come in big sizes and you could still wheel with them. They're not the cheapest tires though but they're still a good choice.