Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sis in Laws Suz Sidekick

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Dec 5, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

My sis in law's suzuki sidekick died at the gas station, symptom = seemed to lose battery power, barely enough power to turn the motor over, jumped it with the K5, started in 2 secs fine. She drove it home (4 miles) stopped it in the drive, went to restart, same thing. I put a meter on the Battery which said 10V. there is 10V also at the battery connectors.
    Anyone any ideas? is the battery bad, or could it be the alternator? I'm stuck...I have the battery charging at the min, HELP

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

ALTERNATOR!! My number one candidate!

Granny LOW and let her GO!!
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Could be either or. I would pull the alternator and find a parts store that will test it for you, or you could pull the battery and have them test it. Also, just go thru real quick and make sure the battery cables aren't corroded.

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I doubt its the alternator. Alternator has nothing to do with starting. If it runs fine after jumped, then it is most likely the battery. You need to test the battery under load. Take it to most any shop and they can test it for you. You will probably find it to be your problem.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Did you check the blinker fluid? [​IMG][​IMG]

89 K5 Silverado, 4", 33's, 3/4 ton axles
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Another thing, you said it died at the gas station. Did it die? Or did she turn it off and it not start again? At low RPMs her alternator probably doesn't put out enough amps to run everything on the engine (depending what all accessories are running). So, if you have a bad battery and your RPMs drop too low, the engine will die (as the alternator alone cannot support the needed amperage draw). I would definitely have the battery tested first. That is the easier of the two to remove.

One other thing you could try. Jump start it and rev the rpms up to the 2,000 to 2500 range. Hold it there and disconnect the battery. If the alternator is good, you should be putting out enough that the engine doesn't die. If the alternator is fried, the engine will die.

I am no electrician, but those are the easy things I would start with.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

7. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

She filled it with gas, went to start it and it turned over twice. Sounded to me like a dead battery. But, when we got home and it did the same thing that confused me. Shouldn't the alternator have 'recharged' the battery on the 4 mile drive home?

8. Check the wiring to the starter, make sure it is all tight. I had the same thing happen on two separate cars I owned. Both times it turned out to be loose wiring at the starter.

American by birth, Marine by the grace of God

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I am still sticking with the alternator or both...My truck did that except it was more gradual...I started noticing lower amp readings and then I started needing a jump everytime i would shut it down...like in your case i'd drive a few miles and shut it down only to have to be jumped to get going again.

However I dont know the vehicle's condition or the age of the battery. A battery can loose its memory fairly quickly and not hold a charge.

Granny LOW and let her GO!!
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

10. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

You see, I'm in AK, and its -6 here at the min, I know cold can affect the battery, and I guess if the battery is bad or going bad then the alternator wouldn't be able to charge it anyway. As I said I'm charging the battery at the min and I'll pop over in a few hours and see what volts I'm getting

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If the battery is really shot, it won't take a charge. Checking the volts with no load won't really tell you much. You will need to take it to a shop and have them test it. Most all shops where you can buy a battery will also have a battery tester.

I doubt it is the connection to the starter. If you jumped the vehicle, you were transmitting current through the same wires/chassis that the existing battery uses. If it was wiring somewhere, jumping would produce the same result as no-jump.

Brian

12. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Thjanks guys, I'll go over to her house later, and pretend I know something about Suzuki's......

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

exact same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. dead cell in a battery...

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

14. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

and before you go out a put down cash on a new battery... check and make sure it's got fluid in it...if it's low just add some distilled water to the cell.... i had alot of problems on my wifes' toyota corolla in okinawa... it would loose fluid during hot months and during the cold months the cells just wouldn't hold a charge untill the motor compartment warmed up... and yes i draind out the water and added electrolite fluids... granted it only got down to about 20-30 degrees F during the winter...

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?