Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sit-ups question...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Apr 13, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

OKay, When I do sit ups for a bit, after about 35, my stomach doesn't get the burning feeling, but instead my muscle above the knee starts to hurt (hehe I forgot the name /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) am I doing something wrong? And when I do crunchies, my back hurts before my stomach tells me to stop, am I doing something wrong here too? Sorry if these are bad questions... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Sit ups dont really target the abs, stick with crunches. Crunches are a little tricky to learn, make sure you consciously drive your lower back into the floor while contracting your abs while doing your crunches....never let up on the abs until you are done. Once you learn to do this while breathing you are set. 10 good crunches target your abs better than 250 sit ups. Once you get to about 20 or 30 you will have strong abs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What else is good for the abs, I need to work on them so I can lift up on working on my truck this summer

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That's like saying "Is there any mods you can do to a K5?" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Try holding your legs up while doing crunches, and make sure your lifting your torso far enough that you shoulder blades get off the ground and sqeeze your abs for a second at the top.

Also make sure your working the lower abs, obliques, and lower back....

5. bigyellowjimmy

I'd suggest doing crunches 3X/week for now. When you can do 30 without killing yourself you can move on to other stuff but always do crunches. (always visualize your abs contracting tightly as you crunch) Try reading "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips, it lists basic exercises and explains how to do them right. Also "The New Encylopedia of Modern Bodybuiling" by Arnold is an excellent exercise guide. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd suggest doing crunches 3X/week for now. When you can do 30 without killing yourself you can move on to other stuff but always do crunches. (always visualize your abs contracting tightly as you crunch) Try reading "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips, it lists basic exercises and explains how to do them right. Also "The New Encylopedia of Modern Bodybuiling" by Arnold is an excellent exercise guide. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I get these books /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

7. bigyellowjimmy

The library, Barnes and Noble, Amazon.com

Anywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

f the situps, just eat hamburgers at 10 in the morning and drink beer at noon. You'll feel much better and your knee will thank you.

9. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif not quite what I'm doing, but my knees scream at me everyday. looks like I need to get on the health trend and lose some weight.

10. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

you can target which mudcles you want to work

here is something to try if you want to target your abs

lay flat on the ground, arms above your head
    keeping your arms above your head, sit your body up at the waste, dont bend your kneeds or anything like that.

If that is too weak for you, try placing a weight on your chest and sitting up. and as it becomes more and more easy, move the weight farther up your chest, til you can hold 50lbs above your head and do a sit up like that

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well, why the hell didn't I think of that?! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you can target which mudcles you want to work

here is something to try if you want to target your abs

lay flat on the ground, arms above your head
    keeping your arms above your head, sit your body up at the waste, dont bend your kneeds or anything like that.

If that is too weak for you, try placing a weight on your chest and sitting up. and as it becomes more and more easy, move the weight farther up your chest, til you can hold 50lbs above your head and do a sit up like that

[/ QUOTE ]

Wont the weight slide off? Or will I not beable to bring it up high enough for it too? Im tired so 'scuse the question if its bad... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

like if you use a dumbell, hold it tight to your chest
    if you want more weight, move it further and further up your body, farther from your waist line
    keep your arms parralell to your body when you rise...so they are flat when you are laying, and verticle when you sit up

you gotta keep your legs down also, tuck them under a bed, or have a friend sit on them works...dont bend knees

and icy hot works wonders on sore muscles

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That will work your hip flexors more than your abs. Anytime you have hold down your legs, or just bend at the waist, your working the hip flexors. Your abs are responsible curling your torso up, so crunches are the best exercise for it. Not saying that hip flexors are not important, though, I would do leg lifts to hit the lower abs and the hip flexors and the groin area....

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks for all the replies! I'll have to try some of that today /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

lol
    all i can say is try it

works for me

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

What the hell, that's hilarious.... oh god I'm a laughing

18. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Try this , lie on you back, put you hands under your butt, lift your heels 6 inches from the floor, then slowly open and close your legs. Start with sets of 15 or 20, between sets, keep your heels 6 inches off the floor. In the Marines these are known as "Hello Dollys".

BlazerGuy will get to know these very well indeed along with push-ups, side straddle hops, mountain climbers, and on and on..... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I love it! So far:
    110 crunches in 2 min
    70 pushups in 2 min
    20 pullups in 2min(need work)
    1.5 miles @ 12:30min(needs work)
    3 miles @ 28:00(needs a lot of work)
    Hopefully these numbers will improve by my ship date in August....

My Ab routine:
    Super crunches
    Good Morning Dolly's(aka Hello Dollys)
    Leg lifts
    Lower ab crunches
    Hanging ab crunches
    Oblique crunches
    V-crunches
    and some others that I can't remember their name... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Better focus on that run time. Slow pokes get to stay in boot camp longer. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif