Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Site Behavior *Please read*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Although the majority of threads and reply's on CK5 come and go without much fanfare, some get off track, and some can get out of hand seemingly at the drop of a hat.

There are already numerous places to find the community guidelines for CK5, so I expect you all should have a pretty good grasp of what is OK and what is not. I won't bore you by re-writing those guidelines here.

The purpose of this thread is to inform everyone of the way these guidelines will be enforced. Up until recently threads have been closed, deleted or moved to the admin forum with no tangible consequences. Often, good and informative threads were ruined.

For the last couple of weeks we have been hammering out a workable plan to try and turn this behavior around.

If you make a personal attack, name calling etc etc. You will recieve your one and only warning via private message from one of the moderators. Non members will recieve an email notification, or a public warning if their email is 'hidden'. The warning will be logged in the admin forum, so that all the Mod's are aware.

If, after being warned you stray too far from good behavior you will recieve a 3 day temporary ban from CK5.

The next 'offense' will get you a 7 day pass, and if there is a next time the ban will become permanent.

Our mandate is to make this a welcoming environment for new people as well as an enjoyable place to spend time and get great GM tech and info. The public fueds and bickering do nothing to promote this site or help it grow, that kind of thing keeps people from joining.

A few members have already recieved warnings, and so far the response has been positive. Let's keep it that way.

If you have any response, feedback or concerns feel free to reply. This thread will remain open and will be bumped to the top periodically, rather than making it 'Sticky'. Nobody reads 'sticky' posts anyways...;)

Rene

Edit by BadDog: Hope you don't mind, but I added an Icon to make it stand out more in the forum. I'll be out most of the day, so I just did it this way.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2005
  2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I read sticky posts all the time:whistle:

Good idea on this thread! Stop the criminals!

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

...can you also give people a temporary "ban" for asking how much lift they need to run 35's? :D Just kidding.... I think you guys have a good plan and I am all for it, I personally am tired of reading alot of the bull$hit

4. tRustyK5

I think that would fall into one of those gray areas...:)

We're all tired of the BS, and hopefully this will help.

Rene

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Glad this problem is being adressed. It has been close to pointless to log on lately. Thanx for the work, I know it isn't easy being green.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Thanks for posting that Rene. I think it's a good idea to have a general guideline up so everyone knows what to expect.

I've been getting more visibly involved lately (instead of the silent edit/delete/PM) for just the same reason. The mods are all getting more than a little tired of all the bickering, and have been discussing it at some length for a while. So we will all be looking at things closer and responding sooner, but we can't read them all, so don't hesitate to hit the "notify mod" if you think things are out of line.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Very cool idea Rene. :waytogo:

Maybe this will help keep a few of the members in line. Not mentioning any names here but i think all of us senior CK5er's have a pretty good idea of the first person on that list. :D

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Ya think?:D

9. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

LOL!!:D

Thanks for the good job Rene and all the greenies.

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I just chose to hit the "back button".......

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  11. tRustyK5

I'm sure we all have a personal list in our minds. I just want to say this isn't a witch hunt by any means, and the rules apply to all of us. We will be doing our best to look at each situation as objectively as possible.

The procedure we have in place for a temp ban is this: Someone get's warned, they mess up again, the offending post or entire thread will be copied or moved outright into the admin forum. If at least two of us agree that a ban is the right call then it happens. We're hoping that will keep bias and emotion out of the decision making if and when the time comes.

Rene

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

One thing that worries me is we have been gettin alot of younger (not a big problem) and inexperienced (big problem) poeple on her spewing alot of crap and no real Tech.

This bothers me because when i first came here i did a search and this site popped up, it was a wealth of knowlage, i sat back and learned alot before i evan asked anything, Now, if i was in the same shoes i was in 3 years ago, i would look else where for a better site to learn from, wich dissapoints me.

For me personally I will not reply to a thread i know nothing about or cant contrubiute to in a positive way.(except in the lounge:D ) If someone new comes on here and get some bad crap tech from some new guy, hes just going to get pissed and leave, its like ordering parts from a flunkie and gettin the wrong stuff, it makes everybody mad.

All im asking for is a little personal accountability from everyone on this site, dont say "well the garage is dumb i wont go there anymore" do somthing to help fix it. Let people know to use the search function, it works pretty dang good now. Dont be a jerk about it, but with the stupid questions that have been asked a million times, let people know.
    just my .02 cents,
    Dale

13. tRustyK5

Feel free to enlighten some of the new guys. You've already identified the problem and a possible solution. :)

Trust me, most of the lifers here have spent countless hours answering repeat questions, and helping out new guys until the new guys learned how to find the info themselves.

There is nothing wrong with telling someone new to search, or even showing them a sample search that helps with their question.

It's not often bad advice goes unchallenged here...as frustrating as it is I also don't think it's intentional. So, two things happen, the right advice gets to the right person (eventually) and the guy that gave the 'bad' advice probably learned something.

We can all help shape this site into the place we want it to be. Sometimes that means biting our tongue, and sometimes it means taking a few extra minutes to help a new guy feel welcome and give him some help.

Rene

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

My point exactally:D

15. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Works for me. I just hope we can still disagree, respectfully of course, on technical points in the garage, and perhaps on philosphical stuff in the lounge. If it becomes too sterile, I think you might as well dump the lounge and make it strictly a technical site. Despite some ugliness now and again, even the disagreements make for a good lively debate and as a result, draw a crowd. As long as it isn't vindictive and vicious, I think some argument is healthy and enlightening on occasion.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Is that like back bacon???????????????? :confused:

17. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good work guys. Politics and committee stuff is always going to upset someone but it does need to be done. There's been some pretty fierce stuff on here lately and I can see how it would easily put off a newcomer.

We need those newcomers to help vote against the Furdies!!:grin:
    Keep up the excellent work.:)

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sure you can disagree, but as you said, respectfully. And on bad advice, I'm one of the "lifers" I guess, and I've been corrected on several points over the years. I've also changed my opinions on several things as well, and sometimes as a result of info from a "new guy" that I initially disagreed with. That certainly has value and will continue.

And on "biting your tongue", oh how many times I've had to do that. Or cancel and entire post after typing but before it's made when I stop and take a breath. You guys KNOW when your responding emotionally and angry. So just do like I do and REFUSE to allow yourself to post what you type right away. Leave it setting there, go do something else to get your mind off it, and come back 15-30+ minutes later and reread it. Then post it after you edit out the personal crap. I've done it MANY times. And if someone else beats you to it, so what. This is not a contest and you'll look better in the process if it stops you from looking and ass even once...

And as Rene points out. Most of the mods go to a great deal of effort to remain objective in dealing with ALL members, not just those we like. In fact, I take even more care dealing with those I personally find annoying just to make sure I don't let that color my actions. I'll also call down a "friend" publicly (or more likely privately) as quick or quicker than someone I don't like. Being a mod is not a "power trip", it's a PIA most of the time.

19. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Aww shucks... Ive never been warned yet, so that must mean you guys like me! You really like me!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

20. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You're not around enough for us to be mad at you, Mikey!!!!:rotfl:

Where the heck have you been lately, brother????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.